Chapter Three: Grim's Origin

“You are comin to the Halloween party tomorrow night aren’t you?” Jordan asked over the roar of television.

“Hmm let me see, NO!” I answered back. Jordan seemed to actually be surprised by my reply. He should know as well as anyone that I hardly ever go to social gatherings, though I prefer to think of them as ‘Cows going to meet in the meadows’.

“Oh, wait why not?” Jordan exclaimed trying to be intimidating by putting his hands on his hips. Though to me it made me question whether he was more female than I first thought.

“Cause I never do,” I replied sarcastically with a slight chuckle. I could tell this was starting to peeve him off. I continued to type on my computer.

He marched up to me and brought his face up to mine. “Doesn’t mean you can’t start,” He turned and disappeared back upstairs, leaving me with thoughts of possibly going.

I pushed them all away after realising that he was just trying to wind me up. I sat there irritation pumping through my brain, and spreading through my corpse. Why does he want me to go anyway? Is it that time of the month for him? These thoughts echoed through my mind, and as it did I drifted away. Before I knew it I was out like a log.

I was suddenly woken by a crack of thunder. It was dark and I was alone in the house. The only light was from the computer screen.

 I lifted my head off the keyboard and winced at the pain in my neck from sleeping on an awkward, uneven surface of the desk.

A vulgar flash of lightning filled the darkened room. I blinked trying to regain my vision. All of a sudden a horrid figured appeared, dressed in a grey frayed cloak.

“Are you Scarlet?” the cloaked figure asked over the faint rumbling in the distance.

“Who are you?” I answered with a shaky tone, trying my best to keep my legs and arms from tremor out of their sockets.

The figure smiled under the hood of his cloak that draped over the top of his face.

“I am the Grim Reaper’s,” He said almost with enjoyment. “Assistant.” I stared at him, straining to take in his words.

“Wait so you’re not the Grim Reaper?” I reinstated with confusion. He looked at me puzzled.

“No, like I said, I’m his assistant.” He responded back. I took a look at him then laughed. “What the hell is so funny?”

“I don’t know,” I blurted out in between laughing. “That the Grim Reaper, the harvester of souls has an assistant. Come assistant go get that old lady, she’s been around long enough.” I mocked with a posh England accent.

“That’s not my job,” He sneered at me. “I do his paper work, and go to meetings for him.” I stopped laughing.

“That’s way better,” I guffawed “Grimy’s assistant.” He crossed his arms across his chest.

“Well whatever,” he groaned “And I have a name you know.” I crossed my arms too.

“Let me guess, it’s Gruesome.” I teased with a smirk. He looked away from me.

“No,” He mumbled. “It’s Randal.” I burst out laughing, crying from the digging pain in my sides. “Well aren’t you just charming.”

“Like wise…Randal.” I responded with another smirk, smearing away the joyful tears. He rolled his beady eyes, under his cloak.

“Look I’m not here to argue with a petty girl,” he groaned, rubbing his forehead with frustration. I glared at him.

“I’m not petty,” I whined, crossing my arms over my chest. “And what exactly did you come here for then?” Randal lifted his arm hesitantly, then dropped it. “Did you forget?”