Chapter 13: Organic Chemistry

"Doctor?" I asked weakly, unable to tear my eyes from the weird sight.

The image of it was impossible, despite my weak aptitude for science, I knew that something like this shouldn't happen. It most definitely didn't fit in with any demigod abilities I knew.

The Doctor gave no reply, still staring in awe at what I'd done, as if I'd done it on purpose.

The coldness in my veins had been restless today, as it had been for the past few weeks like it was turning over in slumber. Except now.

Now, waves upon waves of ice flowed out from somewhere deep beneath my ribcage. It was almost luminescent within me, twinkling like a snowflake. All of it, that wintry liquid, was flowing toward my hands, where it all accumulated.

I couldn't feel what lay beyond the whiteboard, it was as if all connection to my hands had disappeared apart from that coldness.

And I had never been more confused in my life.

Amy approached and pressed her hand against the whiteboard, streaking her palm across the material and then poking the ripples around my wrist, finding it utterly solid. "What's happening?" she asked the Doctor, much more sternly than I had.

"That coldness in you," the Doctor replied, "it's strong in your hands, isn't it?"

I nodded, unsure but uncaring of how he knew so accurately of what was happening.

"You're changing the intramolecular forces between the atoms-"

"English please," Amy and I interjected in unison.

The Doctor sighed as if we'd disappointed him greatly. "You're able to change the physical structure of objects. This is the first time it's surfaced?"

I cast my mind back throughout my memory, catching on that last breakfast in Camp Half-Blood. The only other time when that liquid nitrogen had been nearly as prevalent as this.

I remembered the wood forming around me, realized with a pang that maybe that was what had actually happened. The imprint of my backside was not exactly the kind of lasting mark I wanted to leave on the world.

I nodded in response, my tongue too dry to form words.

He nodded in understanding, knowing as if from experience that terror of discovering new abilities, and he coached me through it.

Above us, the clock ticked incessantly, not slowing down. We were unable to run from time today and Daniel's, my, welfare depended on it.

"You have to imagine the atoms of the whiteboard becoming more and more brittle, able to be cracked with a single touch."

"How do you know this?" I croaked, finally able to speak.

He shrugged, "I did my homework."

Amy placed a warm hand on my shoulder, "Feel free to close your eyes if you want."

I smiled in thanks and did so.

I'd seen many demigods learn their abilities, taking a particular interest in the Demeter kids. Their chlorokinesis was the epitome of the lucky dip of powers to me, and I'd never been more grateful to my former self for watching them so fiercely.

Katie Gardner had often seen me watching from afar and brought me to the group so that I didn't feel left out. So I didn't follow the Doctor's advice exactly; I blended it with Katie's instructions.