Chapter 20: Mother of Pearl

We met up with everyone in one of the station's security rooms. The walls were gridlocked with screens, the floor plain concrete, and at the head of the room was a window looking down on the area where we'd been just before, the soldiers and God Lords still milling around in confusion.

Jenny and Vastra stood by the desk on the window's edge, filled with keyboards edged in yellow lights and several graphs I couldn't begin to understand.

The Doctor made a beeline for the swiveling chair in the center of the bench and made himself at home. "Not too bad, I must say," he sighed.

"Not too bad?" Jenny scoffed.

"That was bloody brilliant!" I exclaimed.

The hot and cold spells had disappeared for now, and I hoped they didn't return. I was not down to get my period right about now.

The Doctor smiled at my compliment, that same paternal pride nearly forcing me to turn my back to him out of childish embarrassment.

But there was still so many unanswered questions, and I hated not knowing things I could potentially understand. "Do we know why they want Amy's child? Or me?"

All of them went silent, looking down at their feet. In shame of knowing or not, I didn't care. I wanted answers.

"It might be because you're a God Lord," the Doctor suggested.

Daniel stepped forward to my side, "I'm one too."

"We don't know your future," Vastra replied, standing close to Jenny.

Daniel swallowed loud enough that I heard it, and I leaned over to nudge his arm in a silent reassurance. Time was not written in stone, it was fluid like a stream, it stopped for no man and could not be held back. But its course could be redirected, drained if necessary. And for Daniel, I might just do it.

Footsteps, belonging to the human Kernel Strax, approached the room. The latter reported that airlocks were sealed and resistance had been neutralized.

The Doctor sat, arms on their respective rests, ready to receive his subject. "Sorry Kernel, I lied. Three minutes forty-two seconds. I want you to tell your men to run away."

The Kernel remained silent, and the Time Lord continued, "I want you to be famous for those words. I want children laughing at your door because they've found the house of Kernel Run-Away and when people ask you if trying to get to me through the people I love-"

I stepped forward and placed a hand on his shoulder as Vastra hissed in warning.

His voice rose to a yell, the anger infused in him was a supernova, new and fantastic and deadly. The death that lurked beneath the mad man's eyes was as rough as the material of his suit.

The Doctor inhaled, recollecting himself as the Kernel stared on. He had not even flinched at the Time Lord's anger.

"Look, I'm angry," the Doctor sighed, "I'm not quite sure what's going to happen now."

I didn't know if he meant that in terms of his anger or the plan, but I hoped it was the former.

"The anger of a good man isn't a problem," leered a voice from the same entrance; Madame Kovarian, flanked by a pair of soldiers. And by her side was Peter.

"Good men have too many rules," the son of Hecate finished.

"Good men don't need rules," The Doctor turned to them, his boots clicking like a grandfather clock as he approached them, "Today is not the day to find out why I have so many."