Chapter 9: Return of the Alpha

Tammy P.O.V.

I woke up one morning to vigorous tapping on my window. "Nat, this isn't funny, it's 5 in the morning!" I said, rubbing my eyes. I climbed out of my bed and opened my window to see a wild looking girl with red hair standing in front of my window. I opened my mouth to scream but the girl clamped her hand over my mouth. "Don't scream, I wont hurt you!" she cried. She unclamped her hand from my mouth."Who are you? Why are you here?" I cried, sniffing her.

"I might ask you the same thing," said Jana, "I know what you are, and I want to know why you're on Maddy's territory." "I moved here from America and met Rhydian. We were running home together with Tom and Shannon and Maddy attacked me thinking I was trespassing," I said, "so, I learned I was a Wolfblood, got in a fight with a jerk named Jimmy, learned I had asthma, and learned how my dad really died. By the way, its a LONG story. Now, who are you?"

"I'm Jana- I'm looking for Maddy," she said, "a terrible thing has happened!" "Then why'd you swing by my place?" I asked. "I caught your scent when I was running to Maddy's. I knew it was Wolfblood smell, and I smelled a human smell and found your house," explained Jana, "I was curious why I smelled a human and a Wolfblood." "My mum's human and I'm a Wolfblood. Again, long story."

"Why don't you run ahead to Maddy's? I'll meet you there, I just need to change." I said. Jana nodded. "Take that path," I said, pointing to the shortcut, "Its quicker." "Thank you, uh-" "Tammy," I said, extending my hand out to her. She shook it then quickly took off. "I'll see you real soon!" I called and then I quickly got dressed.

*********************************************************

Jana P.O.V.

I reached the Smiths' place in record speed and burst through the back door. Mrs. Smith, who'd been drinking some coffee, looked up in alarm. "Jana, what're you doing here!" she cried. I heard feet running down the stairs and Maddy ran into the room with a giant textbook in her hand. "Mam, I heard noises so I- Jana!" she cried.

"Jana, what're you doing here!" she cried. "Call Rhydian first," I said. Maddy pulled out her mobile and dialed Rhydian. "Rhyd, come over quick! Its an emergency!" she said as soon as Rhydian picked up. By then Mr. Smith had joined us in the dining room. A few minutes later, Rhydian burst through the door. "Jana!" he cried, pulling me into a bone crushing hug, "I've missed you so much!" he said.

As soon as he pulled me away, he immediately asked me, "What're you doing here?" "The pack, they've... they've rebelled!" I said and began to cry. "Some men who were loyal to my father didn't like the way I spoke of humans and tames, and they began to rebel! They formed a group and forced everyone to join. Those who didn't join got killed! And... they killed Wendy, one of the Betas' cubs!"

Suddenly, the back door burst open and Tammy rushed in."What's wrong!" she cried, taking a few breaths. She pulled a funny contraption out of her pocket, put it up to her mouth, and began to breathe in and out. "What's that?" I asked. "An inhaler," said Tammy, "I have a thing called asthma which sometimes makes it hard to breathe, especially when I inhale dust, and the inhaler helps me breathe better. Now, please tell me what's wrong!" she cried.

"Jana's pack, they've rebelled," said Mrs. Smith. "How much of the pack didn't rebel?" asked Maddy. "Well, the rebels threatened those loyal to me," I said, "several of them were forced to join the rebels by threat. Those who resisted were killed. They drove me out."

"What about mum and Bryn!" cried Rhydian. "They stuck by me; they didn't let the rebels get them. They're in the woods at my old caravan. We have no other place to go. We want to stay here." I said. "Of course!" said Mrs. Smith immediately, "you protected us, so we'll protect you!" Maddy looked shocked but quickly recovered.

Suddenly, the back door burst open and in ran Ceri, Rhydian's mum. "Mum!" cried Rhydian. "Rhydian, my beautiful boy!" cried Ceri. She embraced Rhydian tightly. When they finally pulled apart, she smiled at Rhydian. "Bryn is waiting at the caravan," she said, "he misses you and wants to see you so badly." Rhydian grinned.

"Then lets go see him!" he cried. "After you get home and get ready for school," said Mrs. Smith, "then you can go to the caravan, see Bryn, then head off to school so you won’t be late." Rhydian nodded and dashed out the door. "Where do the Vaghuans think Rhydian is at five in the morning?" I asked, nodding toward the clock.

"Rhydian usually gets up around this time for a run," said Mrs. Smith, "so they'll think he just got back. Now, scoot." she said to Rhydian, so Rhydian scooted. Mrs. Smith went to make breakfast, Mr. Smith went to work, and Maddy went to change for school.

Tammy turned to Ceri. Ceri looked her up and down and sniffed her. "Who are you cub?" she asked, "I'm afraid you are not familiar to me," "I'm not a cub," said Tammy. "Then, who are you, CHILD." asked Ceri. "I'm Tammy," she said, "you must be Rhydian's real mum."

Ceri nodded. "I'm Ceri," she said. She stuck out her hand for Tammy to shake. Tammy looked surprised but shook it anyway. "Your accent is not familiar to me," said Ceri, "where are you from?" "America," Tammy said. "There is something strange about your smell," said Ceri. "Maybe it's the fact that my mother is human and my dad is a Wolfblood?" Tammy asked, "you know, sorta like half and half?"

Ceri sniffed her again. "Your scent is familiar," she said. "But I've never met you in my whole life," Tammy said nervously, "besides, I thought my scent was 'strange'." "You've got wild blood in your body," said Ceri. "Maybe that's because my dad was a wild Wolfblood," Tammy said. "And he married a human?!" asked Ceri. "Yes," Tammy said. "I want to talk to your father," said Ceri. I listened in.

Tammy lowered her eyes. "He's dead. When I was 2, his pack tracked him down and killed him," she whispered sadly, "my mom said the pack had felt betrayed. Ever since his murder, my mom's raised me. She always told me my dad died in a car accident, but it was a lie. She said it was too painful to talk about. I suppose she was trying to protect me, but... Ceri, are you OK?" Tammy asked.

"What was your father's name?" asked Ceri. "Isaiah," Tammy said, "why?" Ceri grew pale. "No, no, no," she whispered, "it can’t be, you can’t be!" "What's wrong Ceri?" Tammy asked, alarmed. "What's your mum's name?" she asked. "Angela," Tammy said. I had listened to this whole conversation and my mouth dropped open. She couldn't be! No, she couldn't be! Father's Beta had told me about her but was this really her?! Was this the one he had always told me about?!

"Did your mum ever tell you who killed your father?" I asked. "Yes," Tammy said, "it was his brother, a Beta. I can't remember his name though. Whoever he was was cold hearted, killing his own brother!" "Was his name Axl?" I asked. Tammy thought for a moment. "Yes, it was..." she said thoughtfully, "how did you know Jana?" I grew pale. It all made sense. The pieces fit together perfectly. She WAS the daughter of the Betrayer, she WAS standing in front of me after all! I was stunned. "Jana, what is it!" Tammy cried, "Jana, answer me! Jana! Now!" I knew Tammy was nervous.

I just stared at her. "The man who killed your father," I finally said, "is the Alpha of the rebel pack."

*********************************************************

Cliffhanger!!!!!!!!!! I told you I tease!!!!!!!!!!! ;-)