Chapter 17: Running with Wolves

Tammy P.O.V.:

"Ready?" whispered Alric.

The weak morning light streaming through the tent illuminates my frightened face.

"Ready," I reply, drawing in my breath.

We slowly lifted up the tent flap. We look around, not seeing no one.

"Go," whispered Alric.

We take off running, in the opposite direction from others. We run and run, and after what seems like hours while it was really 2 minutes, I collapse.

"Get up!" hissed Alric.

"I can't- can't breathe!" I gasped out, "I can't run. I have asthma! I- If I run too much and inhale a lot of dust, I can't breathe! If I run any more, I could die!"

Groling in frustration, Alric picked me up.

"Hold on," he said.

I was pretty lucky that he was so strong, because he holds tightly onto me and runs. However, I still can't breathe. Seeing a little cave up ahead, I wheeze out, "Stop! That- that cave! We need to rest! I still can't breathe! Please!"

Alric gave in. He put me down on the cave floor, and I instantly began coughing like crazy.

"If we don't go soon," said Alric after a few minutes, "they will find us and kill both of us."

By then I had gotten back my breath. 

"Don't run out of breath on me again," growled Alric.

"I'll try my best," I said sarcastically.

We pick up speed, and I run faster.

I thought we were far away, far enough that I slowed and Alric slowed.

The sun is hot and I begin to get sweaty. We stop at a stream.

I cup my hands and drink the clear cold water from it.

Alric suddenly grabs me and pulled me into the trees, clamping his hand over my mouth.

"Don't. Say. A. Word. They're coming," he whispered. 

I nod, and he lets go.

"Come out Alric, Tammy!" a voice yell, "you are all outnumbered!"

Alric doesn't move.

"Come see what I have to offer for the girl!" shouted Axl.

Still gripping me, Alric comes out of the trees. I stare in terror at all the people who surround us. They are all in a giant circle, and in the middle of the circle is Axl, holding the blade of his knife just inches from the throat of the last person I expected to see- Jana.

She stands stock still, pale and frightened, not daring to move. I know she wants to live, but she knows if she were to be freed they would take me in exchange.

"Don't do it," she croaks out.

I know Alric wants to give me up so he can have Jana back. I can't blame him. But surely he wouldn't?!

Alric loosened his grip on me and pushed me forward. I stumbled and fell to the ground.

"Take her and give me my Jana!" he yelled.

Axl let go of Jana, who dashed towards me.

I was lying on the ground, breathing heavy. I had hit my head and I was dizzy.

"Don't touch the girl!" shouted Axl. Severl men grabbed me up.

"NO!" I screamed, trying to break free.