the sixth chapter

"Cora, wake up." The bars of the cell were being opened and Tina was trying to get her up before the aurors had to. Cora found herself covered with a navy blue jacket and noticed that Newt was without his.

"I told you not to do that," she whispered.

"You were freezing cold, you would've gotten sick."

"You're such a mother."

"So I've been told."

She slipped her arms into the jacket, having to roll them up twice to fit her arms. The hem fell to her knees but she didn't really mind. An auror magically restrained her wrists once more and they were led out of the cell in a single-file line, Jacob being left behind for later obliviation. Cora stumbled slightly as she walked, her feet aching from spending the night wearing heels and the fact that her teacup-inflicted wounds hadn't healed properly after being shoved into shoes straight after her accident.

"Are you okay?" Tina asked from behind her. The auror shushed her loudly and she snapped her mouth shut. The trio was taken to a plain, windowless room, where the man who had taken Newt's case was waiting.

"Good morning," he greeted, as if he weren't about to interrogate them. "I'm Percival Graves, Director of Magical Security & Law Enforcement."

"You wrote me a letter," Cora piped up. "About how I wasn't a registered witch in America."

"Take a seat, Ms. Ketterstone," he offered, gesturing to the chair across from him. Cora scolded herself for speaking as she sat down. "I dug out your file, Ms. Ketterstone. Your full name is Cordelia Lucille Ketterstone, correct?"

"Yes, sir."

"Why did you come to New York ten years ago?"

She looked down at her hands. "I- I wanted a change in scenery."

"After your fiancé's death?" He continued. She squeezed her eyes shut. "Do you remember that, Ms. Ketterstone? Your fiancé and all of the people who attended died in that church, except for you. Why is that?"

"I don't want to talk about that, if you don't mind."

"I find it strangely coincidental that on the same night you were attacked by the New Salemers, the first magical attack on the city happened. Don't you find that strange, Ms Ketterstone?"

"Very peculiar indeed," she agreed, eyes still closed to avoid his piercing gaze.

"Generations of your family, especially your mother Emily, and your fiancé's family..." Graves trailed off, flipping through several pages in the file of information about her, "were strong believers in the anti-No-Maj movement and blood purity."

"How could you possibly know-"

"Can you see why it would concern us that somebody of your background, and that you've avoided registration for unknown reasons, is in New York around the time of several attacks?"

"I would never do anything to hurt anybody, I promise," she pleaded. Her eyes finally opened, tears gathering on her eyelashes, and she looked up at him. "I've never hurt another person in my life and I don't think I ever could."

"Ms Ketterstone-"

"That's enough," Newt said quietly. "Can't you see you're torturing her?"

"Mr Scamander, take a seat," Graves said simply, picking up another file. Cora stood and switched places with Newt. "You're an interesting man, Scamander. You were thrown out of Hogwarts for endangering human life-"

"That was an accident," Newt cut in. Graves seemed bored, rather than irritated.

"-with a beast. One of your teachers argued strongly against your expulsion. So tell me, what makes Albus Dumbledore so fond of you?"