11) Rebonding

Jace's pov
How could I tell her? She'll never trust me again. But I need to, I can't lie to her anymore.

"I think you've noticed how I've drifted away in the last few months. "

"Yeah I did. Don't only blame yourself.  It was also my fault."

I couldn't let her take the blame. Not when I knew the truth.

"There is something you don't know about me. Actually a few things you don't know about me. I'm not who you think I am." I could see her waiting for me to continue. "So my family moved here around the same time your parents did. Our parents got along and eventually became really good friends. At first you were just one of the other friends I had. When I was 7 I asked my parents why we were spending so much time with your family. Don't take it personal. I was just a little boy who wanted to spend more time with his boy friends. My father told me then that you're family is really nice and that's why. Then around the time I was 12 he told me that he would like if I kept an eye on you because he didn't like to see you hurt. He said you were like a daughter to him. When we got in height school we were already together. I was already in love with you. That's when he started insisting about me taking care of you. It was really important to him and it was annoying as hell to me. That's when we started fighting. It was all because I'm stupid and selfish. I've started seeing you as a threat.  At some point my mother intervened. The moment I've heard her tell me that I have to protect you and look after you I just lost it. I liked you, I really liked you.  But who the hell were you.  When did you become more important to my parents than me. I was angry.  When I was talking to my parents it was about what you did that day. They told me that I had to be act with precaution, that you might be having a bad time after your birthday. They said I had to pay attention at new kids at school. Then your birthday came, Dean showed up, you were no longer wearing the bracelet from me, you see it was really important to wear it, my parents made sure to remind you to wear it almost everyday. Then you told me you have wings. I felt like everybody either hated me or just wanted to make fun of me. So I broke up with you. I regretted it instantly. But I had to stand up for my rights. When my parents realized what I did, ohhh, it was bad. We sat down and they explained a few things to me. "

"Look Jace, I don't get it. Why did your parents care so much about what I did?"

"It was hard to understand at first but then I got it.  Now I get it. Apparently I'm not from this world. You see, I'm from your world. "

"But that can't be. You're not a fairy. Your parents aren't fairies. "

"Not so fast. Are you sure you now all about fairies?"

"Yeah. Dean told me about the way that world works. "

"Are you sure you can trust Dean?"

"Well...  It's not like I have any other sources. "

"So let me tell you a bit about our world. The magic world. I'm sorry to tell you this but fairies aren't the only magical creatures around there.  It's full family of freaks. But only the basic. Were vampires, magicians-warlocks-wizards-witches, they are actually warlocks, there are werewolves, fairies, mermaids and there are protectors. "

"Ok, Dean said there are a few more spices. So what are you?"

"I'm a protector Ember. We are supposed to protect humans from evil but also help maintain peace.  You see, I'm a protector.  And I was assigned to protect you the moment you were sent away. "

"But I'm not human. "

"Now stupid. You're royal. And that makes you a even bigger responsibility and puts you in great danger. "

"Ok, so you're actually taking care of me because that's what my parents asked you. "

"And because I love you Ember and I don't want to see you hurt. The moment I found out the truth I felt horrible dumping you. I should have never done that. "

"So what will happen now ? My parents will soon send for me. That's why they sent Dean, to teach me. What will you do? Will you stay here? Will you come after me? Will you be like my bodyguard?"

"Love, I'd like to be more than your bodyguard but if that's all that I can have for now, that's what I'll take. "

"Ok then. But don't think for a moment that because I've sort of forgiven and I'm letting you come with me means we can be more than friends." Her voice sounded troubled. "Well, how will this work? I mean, nothing will be changed. Besides the fact that everything is falling apart in my life. We have 2 more weeks of school, I'll be safe at school. What will be afterward?  Will you make me stay under lock down the hole summer? I'd tell you that my parents would watch out for me, but their trip will take more time, they won't be back until fall. "

"These two weeks I'll be watching from the shadows. Nobody should know about me, nobody, not even Stacey. Do you get it? "

"Fine, I'll play your way, but not for long. "

"Ember, nobody should know that we met today."

"Too late. Dean and Stacey already know about it. Also, everybody was able to see that you followed me from school and also see us in the mall. "

"Yes. But nobody should know that we are friends again. "

"Jace. People might have seen us in the mall. " Ember looked like she was pissed and annoyed.

"Ok then. You'll tell Stacey and Dain that we couldn't be friends anymore. I'll try to avoid being to close. But I'll be there even if you won't be able to see me. Also, stop sharing personal stuff with Dain. I don't trust him. "

"Why? He's my friend. And my parents sent him. Remember? "

" I don't know what to think about that. Our family wasn't informed about it until 2 days ago. I don't really trust Dain. Please, it's two weeks. You can handle keeping him at the perfect ditance. Please Ember. "

"Fine.  Whatever. I'll keep my distance.  But only 2 weeks.  And because I don't have the energy necessary to fight you right now."

"Thank you Ember. Look, I'll go. I'll be watching you. And after you finish school, I have to take you somewhere. I think you'll like it. "

"Whatever. "

"Can you convince Stacey to live with you these weeks? You'll be safer like that. "

"How come? Am I allowed to have visitors ? I thought I was under surveillance and I wasn't allowed contact with the outside world. "

"Ember. Get Stacey to stay with you. But tell her that our going out didn't go well. "

"Fine. I'll see you in two weeks."

"You'll see me on Monday. "

"Jace. Just go, so I can call Stacey. And stay out of my way. "

"Maybe a few days will be enough for you to forgive me. "

"I don't have anything to forgive you for. I just don't want to ...  I don't know what I want so just leave me alone. "

It was obvious to me that she was having a breakdown. But she wouldn't accept me, not now at least. I had to let her be. So I got up and went to the door.

"Bye Love, see you soon. "

All she did was rise her head and stare at me with big hurt eyes. And it was just for a second, like she forgot she didn't like me anymore. I was going to get her back, I was going to protect her.
I close the door behind me and walk to my car. I have to be careful, the royal family said they sent a faerie. But the thing is, they said the faerie would come along with a protector.  And Dain ... well ... he siding come with a protector.