Sleepless Nights: Part 3

When you woke up that morning, you felt extremely tired and well rested at the same time. You also felt the absence of the reassuring body in your bed.

However, you also noticed the smell of cinnamon and earth after a storm clinging to the sheets and a warm chocolate smell filling the room. Your eyes flickered around the room, trying to pinpoint it when your gaze landed on the blue glass cup covered in snowflakes.

Tossing the sheets aside, despite how comfy it was, you sat up and stretched, arms above your head as you yawned. You grabbed the mug, smiling down at the cinnamon and chocolate shaving covered marshmallows.

You grabbed your wand and charmed some regular clothes on along with cleaning yourself up. You made your way out to the kitchen, smiling gently at Queenie and Jacob before sitting at the table. You leaned onto your elbows and held your head in your hand, grabbing the hot mug with the other.

"Good morning," you greeted, the adorable couple grinning at you.

"M-morning, love," you heard the familiar voice call albeit much more timid and hesitant than usual. You felt your cheeks heat up and mentally scolded yourself.

I'm supposed to be getting over him. That shouldn't affect me, you thought.

You glanced over to him and saw him sitting dangerously close Tina, avoiding eye contact with you. You forced down the feelings bubbling up your throat and steeled yourself to answer.

"Good, uh, g-good morning," you muttered awkwardly, not looking at him and instead watched as Jacob tried to teach Queenie to make cinnamon rolls, the Muggle way.

There was a slight pause before Tina and Newt continued their conversation, talking about the adventure you and him had been on.

With memories swirling through your head, you watched as Queenie delicately drizzled icing on the still warm rolls, almost as if she was afraid she'd mess up. She'd cast nervous glances at Jacob's hands, studying the way he effortlessly covered the pastries before trying it herself.

Somehow through the process, she'd gotten icing on her hands and face. It was smeared across her cheek and nose and she only got messier when she tried to wipe it off.

You couldn't help the smile on your face when Jacob noticed and laughed, setting down both their things and placing his hands on either side of her face. She grinned when he placed a gentle kiss on her nose before giving her a light peck on the lips.

They were so incredibly cute.

Queenie glanced sideways at you, smiling wider and eyes shining with affection. Her gaze shifted past you, towards the 'couple' on the couch and her smile turned a little mischievous, as if she knew something you didn't. Her gaze returned to you and the intensity of it made you uncomfortable. It was as if she was analysing you or digging into the depths of your thoughts, uncovering things you had buried.

Abruptly, you stood, stealing one of the freshly made cinnamon rolls before strolling out the door and to town. You needed time to think, time away from everything. You needed to pick up some things for yourself and the creatures too, which gave you an excuse.

Thoughts came and went, focusing and unfocusing as you busied yourself with the cacophony of sound and constant movement. It was a bit claustrophobic, admittedly, but it allowed you to distance yourself from your mind, focusing on the task at hand rather than overthink.

Hours passed and still you walked, your own charmed purse full of different things. You were slowly wandering your way back home when you passed a small, quiet cafe. You caught a glimpse of red hair and a blue coat and walked back slightly to peer inside.