*Twelve*

[[Photo of Ryan]]

[[Photo of Ryan]]

((Kendra's POV))

I walk into Ryan's recovery room of the hospital and over to his bed. Surprisingly, I haven't caught sight of his "wonderful" doctor yet. My heart twists and turns when I see him laying in his bed. My eyes roam his whole body, covered in tubes, connected to monitors and drips, and very painfully stabbed and still bruised and burned. I picture him before the crash, when his matted hair was still thick and always tousled; when his broken skin was still soft and tan; when his dull, cloudy eyes were still full of excitement and love; when his overly chapped lips were full and perfect pink....

Tears blur my vision and I look away before I start crying. I can't handle being in this stupid room.

I back up from his bed and bump into someone.

"S-sorry.." I mumble, turning around to see Erica.

"Well, well. Look who showed up." She smirks.

I roll my eyes and try to push past her, but she blocks me.

"Where are you going?" Away from you.

"I'm hungry." I lie.

I don't think I'll be able to eat for awhile now..

"You never were a very good liar, Kendra."

I shoulder-check her and make her drop her clipboard, not caring if I actually hurt her or not. I look down at the floor and head straight to the cafeteria. If I'm going to go somewhere to sit and think, I might as well go down here so Erica can't start more senseless drama with the police. Honestly, if I wasn't so depressed, I probably would've beaten her ass by now, if not right now.

I sit at a corner table by myself and look at the tray of food in front of me.

There's an apple, a turkey sub, a small cinnamon roll, and a can of Sprite. It would actually sound really good if I hadn't just come from Ryan's room after seeing the woman I was in love with so long ago.

My phone buzzes so I half-heartedly pick it up and read the message. It's from Marissa.

{Hey.}

My heart drops. I want to cry and run into her arms. But I can't look desperate...

[Hello]

She replies a minute later. Well, that's something hopeful.

{What are you up to?}

Sitting here, bawling, because my boyfriend is going to die and I have feelings for you.

[Nothing, just sitting at home. What about you?]

{Smoking.}

[Oh.]

{Yeah...}

[What's wrong, Marissa?]

{Nothing. My cousin is just really hurt and I can't stand seeing him in pain.}

I know how you feel.....

[I'm sorry. That's always hard to deal with.]

{Yeah...}

Come on you moron, think of something to say back.

I set my phone down. I've got nothing...

I set my hot, tear-stained face on the table and close my eyes, enjoying the cool metal on my heated cheek. I slowly drift in and out of sleep.

*************

I jolt awake when someone taps me on the shoulder.

"Ma'am? Are you okay?" A voice asks.

I quickly lift my face to Marissa's voice.

"Why are you looking at me like that? Are you alright?" She asks.

"You're not Marissa...." I sigh, my heart sinking.

"No...I'm Megan."

The woman gives me a weird look and walks away.

I really am starting to miss her....