Breakable hearts 02

“He’s A pain in the ass.” I explain to Dana.

“Oh come on he can’t be all that bad, is he hot?” she asked suddenly.

I stare at her as if she were crazy, “That’s just gross Dana.” I mumbled shaking my head.

“I want to meet him.” She smirked after taking a bite of her pizza.

“No way! He doesn’t even talk much anyway, what’s the point?” I ask leaning back.

Dana shrugged standing up finishing up, Riley stood also, All I wanted to do was get a way that evening it wasn’t enough that I had to share a room with this kid but having to see his face every day annoyed the hell out of me.

“Come on Riles, please can I meet him?” she pouted as we stopped in front of my house 30 minutes later, I let out a frustrated sigh.

“Just a second I’ll see if he wants company.” I tell her.

                Walking inside I didn’t see him in the living room or the kitchen area, I slowly walked upstairs and opened my bedroom door and there he sat, he had A sketch pad in his lap and a pencil in his hand, he looked up closing it quickly.

“My friend Dana wants to meet you, if you’re up for it.” I say quietly.

He stared at me a moment, “Tell her I’m asleep or something, I’m not to social able.”  He answered.

                Rolling my eyes, I slowly walked out of the room closing the door and went outside.

“He’s asleep.”

She stared at me a moment, she pouted.  “Oh well maybe some other time then.” She smiled.

“Yeah maybe.”

Dana left the house and I had went upstairs, he sat there in the same spot as I got into my room with his sketch pad, I decided to set next to him and peered over his shoulder.

 “Aren’t you supposed to be with your friend?” He asked.

“She left.”

                Cody rolled his eyes, “You’re really good. How long have you been drawing?” I ask.

“I’m not opening up to you Harris.”

Riley rolled her eyes, “It’s a simple number not that hard to answer.”

“It’s still opening up.” Cody pointed out as he continued to draw.

“Why do you have to be so annoying?” I asked leaning against my head board.

“Why do you have to be so annoying? And ask so many questions?” Cody asked.

“We’ll be living together for a while so I’m only trying to get to know my roommate.”

Cody sucked in A breath and let it out, “Well I’m not so fond of sharing rooms with you.” He says not taking his eyes off the sketch pad as he continued to draw.

 I could hear A car door outside I looked out the window seeing my dad step out of the car with Chinese food in his hands.

“Chinese for Dinner!” I sprinted out of the bedroom hearing him behind me.

“Didn’t you just eat pizza?” he asked from behind me.

“Dana ate most of it.” We both met my dad in the kitchen as he put his brief case down.

“How was your day day?” Dad asked.

“Great, I went to town with Dana.” I smile.

                Dad looked at Cody, “Eh.” Cody answered with a shrug, I rolled my eyes grabbing what I wanted and darted back up the stairs.

Cody had come in moments later behind me, “You don’t eat a lot.” I noticed he hardly had anything.

“Not a big eater I suppose.” He answered closing the door with his foot, I shrug.

                “So why did you.. cut yourself last night?” I knew he told me not to ask that question but it bugged me, I didn’t know his full background story.

“You told me you wouldn’t ask me that.” He said.

I shrug, “I said I would try not to, not that I wouldn’t. so why did you?” I ask taking a bite of my food.

“I’m not saying why, that would just be opening up.” He said.

                I rolled my eyes sitting there quietly just eating my dinner, it had soon become nighttime out, mom still wasn’t home, she worked at the hospital and usually had late shifts not showing up till 2am, I sat there in my pajamas not able to sleep, I was trying to figure Cody out, wanting to know his past story and I knew I would soon get it out of him.

                I slowly got out of bed not wanting to wake him up, I went into my dads office seeing him at work, “Dad can I talk to you?” I ask quietly closing the door behind me.

 “Sure what’s wrong?” he asked.

“I wanted to know more about Cody, his background story.” I sat in front of the desk.

My dad sighed putting the pencil down he had in his hand, leaned back and put his arms over his head staring at me.

“He was raised in a family that didn’t want him, he was abused. I can’t go any farther then that sorry kiddo.” Dad smiled.

                I stare at him, “What family wouldn’t want their kid?” I ask.

“A lot of cruel people, how is he holding up? He seems to talk to you.” Dad said.

                I shrug, “I don’t know, if we talk we’re either arguing or just annoying each other.” I tell him.

Dad laughed, “Well at least your trying.” He smiled. “You should go to bed. Get some rest.” He tells me.

I nod slowly, “Night dad.” I stood up and left his office and back into my room, I could see Cody laying there in bed asleep, I couldn’t imagine who would possibly try to hurt their son, he’s not all that bad looking, he’s just had a rough passed the covers were tangled around his body, as I moved closer he was drenched in sweat his eyes closed tightly, I knew he was having another nightmare.