Chapter 1

Finding someone who makes us happy is unnerving. We begin to give that person our undivided attention, because they are the ones who make us forget about all of the bad around us and focus only on the good. They are the first person we want to talk to when we wake up in the morning, just so we can start and end each day with a smile. Having that special someone sounds great, but it's scary to always know just how easily they could leave and take that happiness we shared together along with them.

Especially when abandonment is what we fear most of all.

So to keep ourselves from getting hurt, we disappear instead. If we leave, you have to find us. You do the worrying, and your heart is the only one that's broken.

Because we closed ourselves off and didn't give our hearts to you to begin with.

"STOP! STOP RIGHT THERE!"

The sixteen-year-old girl clutched her barrel-shaped bag close to her chest as she sprinted down bleach-white hallways of a sickeningly-clean research facility devoid of all color. Her long, pale blonde hair flew about wildly as the girl dressed in all white panted heavily as her breath began to give out, running as fast as her legs would carry her. Turn left, turn right, and run down this hallway... The girl kept on going as she clutched that bag close to her chest, knowing that if she stopped running now, it would all be over.

The mysterious girl stepped onto an open elevator in the shape of a triangle and quickly slammed her palm down on the red button, taking the elevator up to the next floor. She was instantly surrounded by lush trees, plants, and Pokemon exhibits inside of what appeared to be one large conservatory, and the girl began sprinting once more in her pale blue Mary Janes, white sundress, and large, white, floppy hat. The Pokeball-themed barrel bag she clutched so tightly began to rustle and make noises as she dashed down one of the walkways in-between all of the vegetation, and she came to a slow stop at an intersection as she paused to decide where to go next.

Two men dressed in all white uniforms raced around a corner and spotted the mysterious girl standing there, and twisted smirks crept onto their faces as they bolted forwards and gunned for her.

The girl widened her eyes in panic and quickly ran down a different walkway in attempt to escape the men chasing her, and her bag shook and made distressed and frightened noises all the while.

The girl skidded to a complete halt at the next intersection as two more men dressed in the same uniform appeared in the walkway she was about to run to, and as she turned around in a complete circle, more and more of these men were blocking every single exit and beginning to close in on her. The girl took a step backwards in fear, reaching up to grab the brim of her sun hat as she looked at each and every one of the frightening men's cold, dead eyes. Her bag rustled as they began to corner her, and the zipper suddenly opened itself from the inside of the bag.

An indigo light burst from within the bag, and as both the girl and the men inching closer to her looked towards the light in shock, everything around them became engulfed in the blinding, purple-blue light.

______________________________________________

Three months later...

"Agh, this is so annoying... Come on, work already!"

A frustrated, nineteen-year-old girl gently smacked the screen of her iPad as it spazzed out yet again, trying to answer the incoming Skype call coming from her cousin. She sat at her desk with her iPad propped up with its foldable case, and her shoulder-length, curly, shock-white hair was put up into a high ponytail as she wore leisurely workout clothes consisting of a pastel yellow tank top and black yoga pants.