Chapter 4

Nova instinctively clutched the mysterious Pokemon tighter against her chest as they fell several feet, and as she felt her white sun hat go flying from her head, her eyes followed it all the way down until it was swallowed up by the dark water down at the pit of the ravine. She heard the blonde girl at the top of the cliff let out a shrill, high-pitched scream as she watched Nova and the Pokemon fall further and further to their deaths. The little Pokemon squirmed in Nova's arms as it cried out in terror, and as Nova shut her eyes in fear, they just continued to fall down.

Down, and down, and down...

Nova's whole life seemed to flash before her eyes as time slowed all around her, and just before she and the strange Pokemon hit the rocky surface covered in raging water, something flew into them at an incredible speed and rushed them back up to the top of the cliff.

Her shock-white bangs covered her eyes from the sudden impact of landing back on top of the cliff, and as Nova hesitantly pushed her hair from her face, she caught sight of a Pokemon she recognized from Alola brochures she was looking at on the plane: Melemele Island's very own guardian deity, Tapu Koko, who was holding her in its arms.

Tapu Koko let out a shrill, "Kooooooo!" as it carefully set down Nova and the mysterious Pokemon she was holding on to safely at the top of the cliff, placing them right next to the blonde girl before abruptly darting back up into the sky at an impeccable speed. It was gone within an instant, and a small, sparkling object fell from the sky and landed right next to Nova on the grassy floor.

Nova couldn't catch her breath as the mysterious Pokemon in her lap let out a delighted little, "pew!" in relief to being saved, and she heaved stressfully as she tried to calm her fast-beating heart.

"Oh... Oh, thank goodness!" The blonde rushed forward and stood in front of Nova, who was sitting on the grass with the mysterious Pokemon in her lap. "Are you okay!?"

Nova drew in one long, deep breath in order to calm herself. "I... I think so."

The strange little Pokemon squirmed excitedly in Nova's arms, and the blonde's face seemed to twist in annoyance as she looked at it.

"You tried using your power again...didn't you?" She scrunched her lips together into a pout, knitting her brow and crossing her arms over her chest as she let out a heavy sigh. "Oh, Nebby... You know what happened last time you used it. You couldn't move for ages after that. I don't want to see you like that again!" She snapped at the Pokemon, Nebby, who only seemed to deflate in shame within Nova's arms in response. The blonde's face relaxed into a grievous expression as she instantly regretted losing her temper. "No...I shouldn't say that. I'm sorry, Nebby... I know you were trying to save me that time... And I couldn't even help you in return..." She frowned and stared down at her feet, feeling ashamed of her incompetence.

Nebby grinned brightly as it appeared to instantly forgive the blonde girl, and it floated over to the small, sparkling object on the ground beside Nova. "Pew!" It looked down at the sparkling object, trying to draw the two girls' attention to it.

"What... What is that?" Nova slowly stood up from the ground and peered down at a peculiar stone glittering in the grass, and her white eyebrows furrowed together in confusion.

"Pew pew!" Nebby jumped up and down excitedly with a blissful smile on its face.

The blonde girl looked puzzled as she walked over and picked up the strange stone, and she ran her thumb over its smooth surface as she got a closer look at it. "A sparkling...stone? It feels almost warm somehow..."