Chapter 12

As the weeks passed, the consultants ball flew around. If there was a night Connie hated more than anything it was this. The majority of people were already there with everything in full swing. "So is the ice queen coming or is she a no show again?" "Jac." She shrugged looking about before wandering away from Sam and Elliot.

"Have you heard from Connie? It's not like her to be late for anything." Elliot shook his head noticing Greg moving from the table he had been sat at alongside Oliver, Penny and the others from the ward. "Evening gentlemen." "Greg, Connie is coming isn't she?"

He nodded ordering two drinks before looking to him. "On her way now. You know women." Sam smirked briefly before Elliot began to move towards the table. "You coming to sit down?" "Ur, yeah. I just need some air for a minute." Sam backed out of the room and moved to stand outside looking up across the darkened evening sky.

Connie sat in the taxi as it pulled up to the venue for the ball. Glancing up through the window she released a breath wishing she could be anywhere but here. She paid the fare before climbing out into the cold air. She lifted her dress at the front, closing the car door before wandering towards the path. Letting the dress settle about her legs again she walked slowly along the footpath.

Sam remained outside looking up as his eyes fell to her. Her hair was pinned back, a few loose curls falling out of place. She wore a deep blue dress that fit tightly to her chest, and clung to her hips before falling loosely around her legs. Her curves emphasised more than he had known possible as she moved closer to him. 

Connie was oblivious to Sam having been watching her until she looked up to see him ahead. "Hey-" Connie smiled closing the space between them as she looked up at him. "Hey, why are you out here? Tell me it's not that awful already-" "No... Greg mentioned you were on your way. Thought you might appreciate a friendly face to wander in with."

A warm feeling filled her before she wiped the expression from her face. "You look good in a suit." "And you look absolutely breathtaking Connie." She dropped her eyes to the floor before feeling him bend closer, his lips brushing across her cheek as he kissed her gently.

"Come on, let's get you inside." She smirked as he held his arm out to her. Holding the front of her dress as she ascended the steps. The music could be heard from outside as they wandered into the main hall. "They're over here..." He held her arm as they manoeuvred through to the table before he let go of her. "Look what I found outside."

She smirked across at him before Elliot stood up placing a kiss to her cheek. "You look divine Connie." "Thank you..." She smiled dipping her head before seeing the seat free beside Greg. "Hey gorgeous-" "Hey yourself." He kissed her quickly as soon as she sat beside him. "I got you a glass ready." "Ugh thank you." He laughed as she took a sip, the conversation picking up rapidly once again.

As the hours ticked by and the drinks went down just as fast, everyone began enjoying themselves. After a while Connie had found herself in the midst of numerous conversations with pompous staff members, including Guy and Henrik. Sam glanced up from the table to see her with a face full of boredom. When she noticed his eyes on her she pulled a face towards him.

Sam seemed to speak to Elliot who looked up to see Connie across the room. He excused himself from the table blundering his way across the floor. "Ah Elliot, have you met-" "No I haven't, but right now I'm just here for Mrs Beauchamp." Guy frowned looking to him as he reached forwards for her hand before pulling her out of the group and into the middle of the dance floor surrounded by other people.

I sit and wait. Does an angel contemplate my fate. And do they know, the places where we go when we're grey and old. 'Cause I have been told. That salvation lets their wings unfold. So when I'm lying in my bed, thoughts running through my head. And I feel the love is dead, I'm loving angels instead...

"Elliot what are you doing?" "I got you away didn't I?" She laughed as he spun her around in a circle before dancing with her. The music continued as Elliot led her around gently, people glancing over every now and then shocked to see Connie as she was. "Thank you for saving me Elliot-" "You're welcome of course."

She smiled happily as they spun around once more, Sam watching on with a smile as he saw the happiness on her face for the first time that evening. As the music continued Greg made his way towards the pair causing Elliot to look up. "Would you mind?" He stepped to one side with a small smile leaving him to step into his space and take Connie's hand.

"Thought I'd take the opportunity to dance with you. Beauchamp joining in doesn't happen often." She nudged his chest before her hands settled around his neck as they swayed in time to the music. "Should I be jealous?" "Oh, it was like dancing with my Dad... Elliot he's always been there for me when I've not had anyone else."

Greg nodded lifting a hand to her cheek as she smiled gently. "Well you'll never be on your own anymore. I love you." He neared her lips kissing her softly before spinning around again.

Sam was standing beside Elliot as Penny rushed over with Jac lagging behind. "Come on..." "What!? No-" "Come on Sam." She pulled his hand towards the floor as he rolled his eyes and gave in, his arms wrapping around her as they danced together. "Come on old man, lets see what you've got." Elliot smiled as he took Jac's hand dancing with her beside Oliver who was already there. Jospeh slowly joined them having saved Diane from the clutches of the thrilling company of Henrik as he twirled her around.

With everyone dancing around, they stood together the words of the song being sang loudly throughout the room. Connie stood with her arms looped around Greg's neck while Elliot danced now with Penny, Jac being pulled around reluctantly by Oliver as he laughed. Sam spun Diane around as they sang with smiles, the evening nothing quite like they had all pictured it.

"And through it all, she offers me protection. A lot of love and affection, whether I'm right or wrong. And down the waterfall, wherever it may take me. I know that life won't break me. When I come to call, she won't forsake me. I'm loving angels instead." The laughter bouncing off one another while some continued to sing being something Connie didn't often experience.

Everyone spent their time dancing and laughing together, the time passing quickly as people gradually began to drop off to their rooms. "See it wasn't that bad." Sam bumped into her side causing her to smirk before nodding. "I'll give you that, thank you. For earlier, I know Elliot noticed because of you." "Don't mention it... But you do owe me now." He winked wandering away to say goodbye to everyone as they started to separate off.