Carousel - Final

Ice cream dripped from Gladion's face, a cold reminder of what had just happened. 'It got on the sweater Hau picked out for me..'  He thought, beginning to shiver. He decided the best line of action - get to Moon before she reached Hau. And so, the chase began. He followed swiftly, people gasping and moving out of the way.

   If she got to Hau.. would he hate Gladion? And if he were able to catch her, what would he do? Violence would only make things worse.. Would she hear him out? The questions in his head were rushing by as fast as the people were. He was lucky she wore that strange beanie, it helped him follow her. Finally, he reached her, pulling her away from the festival goers. "Hel-!" She began to yell, as he covered her mouth.

   "Please, just listen to me!" He hissed back. This wasn't going to work. Everything he had worked up to; making friends, going out, becoming independent from Team Skull, it would all be nothing.

   "..What's going on here?" Gladion froze up. Behind him, he knew the gentle voice, now laced with confusion. He slowly turned, seeing Hau and Lillie. Lillie was staring at him, shocked, a hand drawn over her mouth.

   "Everyone just liste-" Once again, he was cut off, as Moon tore free of his hold. "Gladion wants to steal your pokemon, Hau! I heard him on the phone with someone!"

   Hau's face turned into a frown, making Gladion shiver. Slowly, his regular smile returned. "Is this a prank?I know you're a prankster, Moon, but I had no idea you had it in you Gladi!"

   "It's not a prank!" Moon hissed, "I'm serious! How can you trust him!? You've only known him for a couple of days! This guy could be anyone - a killer even!"

   Hau took a step back, "I-I didn't think of anything like that, he doesn't seem like an untrustworthy person.." He made eye contact with Gladion, "Is it true?"

   "No... Yes..? Just let me explain!" Gladion told the story of how he was working for Team Skull, getting a mission to steal Hau's Alolan Raichu, but became Hau's friend before realizing he was the target. After, he couldn't bring himself to do it, though. How he cared for Hau. How he saw him as his first friend ever.

   "I'm not sure how to react.." Hau began. "I don't know what to believe.. I've never been in a situation like this. I don't.. I need to go." Hau walked away, slowly at first, and then picked up the pace, running. "Come on Lillie. Let's go." Moon took her hand, as Lillie gave Gladion a final, sad look.

   And then Gladion was alone, the only thing left was his own regret. He slowly left, wading through the now decreasing number of visitors. The night was coming to a close. He began to shiver, it was pretty cold, and his hoodie and his face were sticky from the ice cream. He hit the bottom. He didn't need Hau. He didn't need anybody.. Right? This is how it had always been, so it shouldn't be a shock. Yet, here he was, confused. Had he really just blown every chance of having friends? And.. He loved Hau. He couldn't admit it to anyone, but there was more there than just friendship. This would surely be the end of their relationship.

   His phone buzzed. He ignored it. Twice, still ignored. Three times. He groaned and pulled it out of his pocket. "Gladion. "Gladion? Answer me." "I'm coming to your motel. I've seen you there before, you know." All from Hau. How could he face Hau after what had happened? Here goes nothing..

   Hau was waiting outside, shivering in the cold air. He saw Gladion approach, and for the first time didn't smile when it happened. Gladion stayed quiet, opening the door as Hau followed him in. "I want you to be honest. Swear on Arceus the story you told was true." Hau said, sitting on the bed.

   "Yes, on Arceus, it's true." Gladion responded, beginning to wash his face. He wished he could go back and prevent this from happening.

   "Then.. what made me different? Why couldn't you take my pokemon like the other jobs you've done? They were all innocent people too, you realize that right?" Hau had an angry tone, something Gladion thought he'd never hear from the sweet boy.

   "I.. I know. I just wanted to be strong. I thought fighting under an organization like Team Skull would help me do that. Yet.. I just can't explain it. I can't explain why you aren't like the others were. I just care for you, ok?" He avoided the fact of the matter, that he loved Hau.

   "You aren't strong just because you have the ability to take from others. You're strong in other ways you don't even know. I want to show you that Gladi.. I want to show you how you're important even if you don't feel that way. Haven't you ever noticed how determined you are, or how you weren't afraid to admit you were thankful to have me? You must come from a dark past.. But that doesn't define you! It's the steps you take to make the future better that counts.. If you want to stay my friend, leave Team Skull." Hau sighed, having gotten a lot off his chest.

   "I will.. I will first thing in the morning. I'm so sorry.." Gladion hugged Hau, tearing up. He had never been told his strengths.. His mother only pointed out weaknesses; flaws. And Hau was right, it was time to move on. He had to settle things. "The reason I can't ever hurt you.. it's because I love you Hau. I don't know why or when it started, but I've realized I like you more than a friend. I..I get it if you're straight, but I can't keep any secrets anymore."

  Hau hugged back, laughing. "I didn't think I'd ever hear that from you. I think.. I think I feel the same. I had to think a lot after shopping with you today. I felt something too. I thought it was just something weird at first, I mean we're both guys! I haven't had many guy friends but.. It's definitely more than friendship, the feeling I have for you.

Hau suddenly pulled back. "Why is your sweater so sticky?"

Hau immediately noticed Gladion's intense blush, "U-Uh. Well, after Moon heard me on the phone, she kind of attacked me with ice cream. I think she had bought it for me, too.." He gave a slanted smile. "It's uncomfortable, to say the least."

Hau yawned, "It's late, isn't it? I don't want to walk home." He groaned. "Though, you should probably get that off.."

"There's enough room on the bed, if you want to stay that is." Gladion looked away, trying to hide his blush.

   He threw his bag off, laying on the bed, "Yayyyy!" Gladion sat next to him. "But I'm the clingy type of sleeper, I hope you know.~" Hau continued.

   Gladion took his sweater off, revealing his chest, cuddling up next to Hau. "Fine with me."

Hau smiled, sitting up to take his shirt off too, and then rejoining Gladion. The touch of each other, skin to skin, was enough to send shivers down their spines. Gladion smiled as Hau nuzzled into him. For once, everything felt like it would be okay.

Note: Not the end of the story, only the end of the characters meeting! Hope you're all enjoying!