Chap. 16 - Ogygia

A/N - Okay, so this is the first chapter with a POV other than Amathwen's. Don't get confused. All you Caleo fans, sorry, but this chapter will be Phillipso!

PHILLIP'S POV

I can vaguely remember spiraling through the clouds, then the metallic taste of blood in my mouth, and finally salty water filling my lungs.

Once I was able to open my eyes again, I was on a bed of silk sheets - the last place I expected to be. 'Ah, I'm in Elysium,' was my second thought, but it felt much too solid to be Elysium.

After I was able to focus, I came to the conclusion that I was in a cave. Caves had become my least favorite places, after my last experience. But this one seemed much more pleasant, with diamonds and crystals jutting out the sides, gleaming in a welcoming sort of way.

I tried to sit up, but pain shot down my back. With a simple grunt, I toughed it out and sat up straight. My inborn battle reflexes were telling me that I was tired of being still.

When I finally got over the aching in my boots, I hobbled over to the nearest mirror. Gods of Olympus, I looked like I'd just been dragged across asphalt then thrown down a rocky mountain. My incredibly attractive hair, in which I kept in a low ponytail, was strewn all over the place. My camp shirt had a set of claw marks running through it, and my jeans had holes ripped in the knees. My combat boots were near in tatters, as well. Nope, definitely not Elysium, though the place felt like it. The sweet smell of peppermint and cinnamon lingered in the air.

I looked around for my bag again, but it was nowhere to be seen. Most likely lost in the free fall through the sky. My blade was no longer at my side, either. "Wonderful," I snarled bitterly, a lot more menacing that I wanted it to be.

"Well, you're finally awake," A softish voice erupted from the mouth of the cave. I spun around to be looking in the amber-like eyes of a girl.

Words couldn't describe how beautiful she was. I could only muster, 'more beautiful than Aphrodite,' but I didn't say it out loud. I'd probably get cursed by the love goddess. The girl looked my age, around fifteen. Her hair was long, straight, and a sort of caramel-color, not blond but not brown. It was pulled into a side-braid, but one slightly wavy lock fell in front of one eye. She fashioned a circlet made of rope around her head, adding to her beauty. You'd expect her to be wearing some beautiful prom dress, but instead she wore a simple white shirt and jeans, with no shoes. Her shirt was flecked with dirt stains, as was her face and hands.

"It seems I am," I responded simply, crossing my arms over my chest and eyeing her. She smiled lightly, a smile that made my heart go ka-bump.

"Welcome to Ogygia, valiant.. hero," She uttered the word as if it pained her to say it. "I am Calypso."

"Phillip Coates, brother to Nyssa Coates, son of Hephaestus, at the service of Your Ladyship." I tried to act as formal as possible, I even politely kissed her hand. Her cheeks turned bright red, but she still managed to keep it together. "A polite fellow yet."

I tried to place who Calypso was from the myths, but I couldn't remember. I'd apparently hit my head on something, because I was clueless. Her name was familiar, though, and I instantly knew that she was a Greek figure.

"I ask of you one question," I mused, standing up straight. "Please don't tell me that you had to drag me all the way to your Cave of Wonders."

She was quiet for a moment, then tilted her head to one side. "Well, I didn't necessarily drag you.."

"Oh, my dear, don't put yourself through that burden," I grabbed both her hands and gave her my best pouting look.

Her cheeks flushed. "Well, I had a little help," she stated, as if it solved everything.

Oh, of course. "Yes. Who else is on this.. Ogygia?" I mused. My first wrongdoing.

A shockwave seemed to go through her. She faltered slightly, and let go of my hands, which was disappointing. "No one," she responded softly. "Only you and I."

"But you said you had help," I arched an eyebrow, now thoroughly confused.

"From my invisible servants." Calypso replied, once again, as if it solved everything.

She must have sensed my disbelief, because she sighed in exasperation, and led me out. "Come on, I'll show you."

The island was basically paradise.

I mean, I don't look at gardens often, but she had the most beautiful garden I'd ever seen. I was able to see the beach where I'd landed, and the water was the bluest I'd ever seen, glittering brightly. There was probably more to see that was out of sight. And the garden appeared to be tended to by invisible hands, the watering can picking itself up, the trowel digging into the ground itself.

"Oh." I said, with a dumbfounded look.

"Yes." She nodded, with a soft smile. "Very helpful. Don't know where I'd be without them, always having to do this and that."

"So, uhm, care to explain things to me?" I mused, with a sheepish grin. I wasn't good at talking to people, much less pretty girls.

She exhaled deeply, as if the subject pained her. "I am Calypso, and this is Ogygia. My prison, and my paradise. I am cursed to be alone here for siding with my father, Atlas, in the First Olympian War."

I had to catch my breath. "You're - you're the daughter of a Titan?"

"And a Titaness," she let out another sigh. I'd been taught that Titans weren't good guys, but I guess their offspring weren't the same. Percy had told me about a daughter of Atlas named Zöe Nightshade, and that she was a good person.

There was a silence between us, until she broke it. "Well, while you're here, I'd best show you the rest of Ogygia."

She grabbed my hand and dragged me off.

She showed me her moonlace garden, her small wood, her cave, everything. And once the sun had gone down and the moon hung in the sky, we walked on the beach, the bright moonlight being our lantern.

"And anyone who lands on Ogygia, ends up leaving me soon afterward." she explained ruefully, her amber eyes looking out at sea with a wistful glance. "They never stay."

Seeing her there, wistful and faraway, made my heart hurt. She was a girl who had lost all faith in heroes.

I remembered the prophecy line 'lose a loved one to a maiden fair.'

How I was loved, I didn't know, but this was the end of the line for me. I had no more noble duties to do.

It was my turn to show her that not all heroes were that bad.

"I will stay," I muttered quietly.

"What?" She turned her head, her gaze fixed on me.

"I.. will.. stay." I repeated, louder and more confident.

She was quiet, as if in a daze. "You.. will stay here.. with me?" She asked, pointing at herself.

"Yes," I responded.

She was silent again. I thought I'd broke the bond, when the corner of her mouth curved upward in a half smile. It eventually grew into a wide grin, and she let loose a laugh of joy, and flung her arms around my neck, pulling me into a kiss before I could react.

After all, it was the end of the rope for me. And I'd say it was a pretty good one.