Responsibility & Duty

Noah's POV

The first thing I noticed was that the house was much larger than it had appeared from outside. Unlike the cabin style houses on the mountain, it was more modern and decked out with the most up to date furnishings. It wasn't at all what I had expected.

Uncle Flynn waited for me to take off my boots and motioned for me to put my coat in the closet to my right. He led me through a hallway decorated with old pictures. Some of them depicted beautiful sceneries of nature and others were of people.

It didn't take long for the hallway to open up into a huge living room. Comfortable couches surrounded a television screen with an impressive entertainment system. Big bay windows let in the sunset and illuminated the foosball table, pool table, vending machines and pretty much anything that could be found in a rec center.

"This is the main house usually reserved for meetings and receiving new guests. Right now everyone is at dinner which is through that hallway," Uncle Flynn pointed to an arched entryway built into the back wall.

"The fridge in this room only has drinks and the bar is fully functional. This way," I followed him through the archway and began to hear the din of voices and laughter grow louder.

About 20+ people were seated at two long tables in a massive dining room. TVs hung on several different walls but they were off. To the left of the tables a huge kitchen with state of the art appliances looked like it had been destroyed by all the cooking that had occurred.

Two flights of stairs went up to the second level and well... it was all just overwhelming.

"I apologize for the mess in the kitchen but once everyone heard I was cooking jambalaya well," An older woman pointed to everyone, "people I haven't seen in weeks come out of the woodwork."

She had a warm smile and wrinkles around her eyes as she joked.

"Where in blue neptune are my manners, my name is Minnie and this house is my responsibility and the rest of these rapscallions are the Nosti."

A collective chorus of greetings sounded all at once as Minnie's guests waved and smiled at me. I awkwardly said hi.

"I'll show you to your room and you can get cleaned up. Your bags are already in your room." Uncle Flynn started towards one of the sets of stairs and we went to my room.

It was a decent size master that matched the rest of the house's decor. The second my uncle left I took off the clothes that had crusted over with what I thought was the blood of those creatures. I left them in a pile and headed to the bathroom.

A beautiful jacuzzi tub sat in the middle of the room making me desperate for a soak. I turned on the hot water and let it run. In the corner was a shower that I decided to rinse off in, before my bath.

By the time I was done, I finally felt like myself. I changed into sweatpants and a sweatshirt and made my way downstairs. The tables were cleared and just a couple people were still talking.

Minnie was in the kitchen cleaning up but she stopped when she saw me. She was a short woman in blue jeans and a t-shirt and grey dreads. The most striking thing about Minnie was the peculiar way she spoke.

"I left you some grub, here you go, and you need to head over to the library. I'll drag you there." Minnie handed me a bowl and took me to the library.

Unlike the rest of the house the library looked older and was made of a dark wood. It too looked massive with rows of bookshelves. Nate, uncle Flynn and two other people sat on plush chairs around one long coffee table. Dim lights cast a glow over everything.