Blood, Body, and Soul

Her Matron, Maternal

"You've received a letter, My Lady, from Your Cousin," The Squire announced at the frame of the door. "She grows weary of your health."

Katrine looked up at the man, Daniel, no more than 25. He was the only man in her household, and he seemed to mind it greatly, but not because of sexist ideals, but Katrine suspected he... enjoyed the company of men a little more than a normal man should. Never the less, The Duchess didn't say anything about it. 

"I've already wrote a letter back that I've been getting better," Katrine pushed herself up from her bed, wincing when her muscles cried out. Daniel noticed this and came to her side, helping her sit up straight. 

"Of course, my lady," was all he could say. Indeed Lady Katrine was improving, but a girl as young as her, sixteen and not a year older, she shouldn't be in the state she was in. Especially a girl that wasn't entirely...

"Daniel, call my Matron," Katrine said immediately once she was up, "I'm weak. I need medicine." 

He bowed, "Of course, My Lady." 

Katrine watched her Squire leave, and then turned to look outside. It was the afternoon. She found herself waking later with every passing week. They say it's because of her health, but Katrine enjoyed the night rather in the morning, and had grown accustomed to sitting her bed and watching the stars at night until her body couldn't stand to be awake any longer. 

There was a knock on the door, and then it swung open, "Lady Katrine. Your medicine." 

She looked what her Matron was holding, and tried to shift in her bed, "Bring it here, Evangeline." 

The grey-haired Matron walked long strides towards her, with a golden goblet in her hand. Inside swished a maroon coppery liquid, and when she reached the young Duchess, Evangeline tilted the cup into her mouth. 

Katrine coughed, red drops on her bottom lip, "It's clotted. How old is this?"

The matron dabbed her mouth with a cloth and placed the goblet on the night table, "Blood is difficult to keep fresh, Mistress. It clots once it grows cold, however it still works the same."

"Perhaps, but it still tastes awful," Katrine took the goblet and stared at it. 

"It is your choice, my lady, I am only obeying your commands."

Katrine looked up at her doctor, young-faced, short silver hair, and black eyes hidden behind glasses. Katrine looked away from shame, "Yes, well... I don't want innocent blood on my hands. I told you this years before."

"Criminal blood tastes more sour than innocent, I had warned you. It doesn't keep you strong for long, either," Evangeline sat on the side of the bed, her hand on her Lady's, "But your sacrifice is honourable."

Katrine rolled her eyes, "Honourable... I spill the blood of man, drink it, bathe in it, eat their flesh in my meals, and suck down their soul like a shot of whiskey. There is no honour in that. I am but a monster in silk. My hair even speaks of the blood I spilt for my own health. I wish I were dead, if I didn't know what would happen if I were."

"You wish to stay with humans, Katrine, this is the price to pay. Your human body cannot survive without blood, bodies and souls, lest it decay and your true form will show." 

"You can blame my mother for that," The Duchess growl, "She had to lay with a demon. And not just any demon at that... The King of Hell. Now if I shall return to my father's kingdom, I will be forced to wed one of the seven princes, my own brothers... I rather suffer by drinking this piss and wait until my eyeballs pop out of my skull."

Evangeline looked down at her hands, her lady's finger tips were black, pointed, and resembled that of a corpse's decomposing hand. The mere birth of this girl killed her mother, but the pregnancy was nine months of sheer agony. Evangeline watched from beneath the stone of the earth, waiting until the child was born. 

Katrine may be her lady in this realm and the one beneath them, but she was like a daughter, and couldn't bear to see her suffer the way she did. It was cruel fate that someone so honourable and just be cursed with such sins. 

"There is a way, my lady, for you to regain your strength for a year or two at most, but it is both difficult and a sacrificial."

The red haired girl turned to her Matron with interest, "Go on?"

"While humans are the main sustenance for demons, you are not a demon... You are something unique, something far more complex. It is only logical that you would have to devour something stronger.... Like another demon, or an angel." 

Katrine snorted, "Are you suggesting that I should eat you?"

"I'm no longer an angel, My lady."

"Be that as it may, if you are asking of me to eat you, or one of my servants, that is out of the question. My servants have my trust and I have theirs. It would be treason to do such thing, and I am no traitor in this world. In the next, perhaps I am considered so, but my brothers and father could eat shit for all I care."

Evangeline bowed, "Of course, Mistress."

There was a beat of silence before Katrine collected herself, "But your suggestion is tempting. I have no respect for angels, but I fear those are harder to find than fallen ones, such as yourself. A demon on the other hand... If you find one, Evangeline, bring them to me. We don't need drama on our hands. If he or she learns that I am a princess of Hell, I'm sure they will be willing to sacrifice themselves for my health."

"My thoughts exactly, Katrine. Shall I tell Annabelle to prepare your afternoon tea?"

"Yes. And tell her to prepare me a chocolate tart. I need something stronger to clear my mouth of this copper taste."

"Of course, My lady."