His Lord, Awkward

His Lord, Awkward 

It was Sunday before lunch that Ciel found the Duchess alone in her study with a book in her hand and... still in her nightgown. 

"Oh, Lady Katrine, I didn't know you weren't dressed yet," Ciel turned to leave, but the Duchess's voices stopped him. 

"Oh, no, my apologies, Earl. I'm so used to having the company of women that I forgot I had to change. But no need for modesty, Ciel," she smiled up at him. Since he got here, he hadn't seen a genuine smile from her as of yet.

"That's fine, Katrine. Perhaps I shall return when you are dressed?" He wished she agreed. He was having a difficult time keeping his eye on her face. Of all the night gowns in the world, she had to wear the shortest one. It went up to her knee, exposing her pale smooth calves and bare feet. Short sleeves, and a sweetheart neckline, not to mention that it was such fine material, white at that, that it wasn't difficult to see the outlines of her body. 

She stood up, "I'll put on a robe. I have no plans today, so I don't find it necessary to get dressed in a hurry. Besides, I'm comfortable with my body. I'm sure you've seen a girl in a night gown before?"

No, he hasn't, but he didn't say that. When she stood up and walked away from her chair, he spotted something beneath the material on her back. They looked like markings, one of which looked similar to the symbol under his eyepatch. The Lady grabbed a white silk robe and wrapped the sash around her small waste, "Of course, Katrine." He took a seat across from her. There was a round table next to both chairs, a chess set on top. It was made out of marble, the board, and pieces. "You play chess?"

"Hm, some what. This belonged to my father, the previous Duke," she crossed her legs, and both her robe and night gown slid up her leg, well passed her knee and down her thigh. Ciel immediately looked away. 

"Lord Fredrick," The Earl added. "My family was there during the funeral. Is it true what they said? It was suicide?"

"It was. I was ten, so I couldn't understand why he done it," she shrugged, and sighed then left that gentle smile on her face, "But that was a long time ago. Tell me, Ciel, are you still engaged?"

Ciel shifted in his seat, "Yes I am." The thought of Elizabeth flashed in his mind, and his stomach churned from guilt for a split second. It was now or never... And it wasn't like he and Elizabeth were officially married, and not to mention it wasn't uncommon for a Lord to have lovers, even if it was a noblewoman. "Our betrothal was arranged, but I'm afraid we have little in common."

"Oh? Then you could always call it off, Lord Phantomhive. You're the head of the house now, and almost a man grown," her hand was on her lap, her fingers playing with the hem of the skirt and robe. 

Ciel shut his eyes and laced his fingers together in front of him. He had no idea how Sebastian did this, he felt incredibly awkward. He thought he was supposed to be the one to make her feel this way? Was she doing it intentional? Ugh, this was frustrating in more ways than one, and that's what scared him. Ciel forced himself to act accordingly, and put on a smile of ease, "Perhaps you're right. However, I see myself as a man grown already."

Katrine cocked her head to the side, "You do, do you?"

Ciel opened his eye to stare at her. It was almost a mission to remain confident. It would have been easy if she just dressed properly. "Age is just a state of mind, My Lady. I like to think that I've aged faster than most my age."

She chuckled, "Indeed it is. But age also shows by the body," she leaned in, the sweetheart neckline loosening, letting the beginnings of a cleavage show. 

The young Earl wanted nothing but to jump over the arm rest and flee the room, but he knew that Sebastian will never let him forget this day. So Ciel leaned in, reached out and placed a finger under her chin. He was so close to her face now, he realized her eyes were a brilliant green...Like Elizabeth's. But unlike his fiance's, the Duchess's eyes were deeper, more mysterious, not wide and innocent. And her lips... They were just as red as her hair.... Hair that was the same colour as his late aunt's.

"I think you'd be surprised, My Lady," it seemed like what he said surprised her, because she arched an eyebrow, and her lips stretched into a smirk. 

Katrine's legs uncrossed, and Ciel began to panic. What was she going to do? Damn Sebastian! Putting him through this...if only he took the reigns. But he was safe in the city, expecting the scene of the crimes. When he gets back, he's going to get such a slap... 

Suddenly there was a knock on the door, and stepped in his savour, the Squire. 

"Lady Katrine? Lunch will be prepared soon. It's time to get dressed," he had his hand on the door knob and an amused smirk on his young face. 

Katrine sighed, "Of course," she stood up, and Ciel followed. "Please excuse me, Earl. I'll see you at lunch."

Ciel bowed, "Yes, My Lady. We can finish this conversation later."

Katrine turned to the young Lord when she reached her squire, "I hope so." The door closed behind her, and Ciel collapsed onto the arm chair.

"Bloody hell..."

Outside in the hall, Daniel was beyond amused, "Look at you, mistress, getting a younger man."

Katrine scoffed, "Shut up, Daniel," she opened the door to her bedroom and slammed it shut in his face. 

The squire laughed loudly, "Scandalous. Thinking more like a demon every day, that one. Now where is that delicious butler?"