His Lady, Change of Heart

Katrine woke up with upsetting news. Before her Cousin had gotten her own letter Katrine had sent her, she had sent one to Katrine, and she had just recieved it. 

"This is rediculous," The Duchess seethed. "She's not my mother, she cannot order me to do this."

Evangeline gave her a look, "She is the Queen. Have you misplaced your logic? And you're of age... much older than others when they began."

"Tch," Katrine crossed her arms and looked dejectedly at the wall. "I don't need a man at my side. I've been fine since my father died..."

"This could be a show of feminine defiance, or perhaps you cannot see yourself with anyone else, but with the Earl you've grown so fond of over the span of these last couple of days," Evangeline was having a hard time herself accepting how Katrine could've fallen for someone so fast. Then again, the Duchess had been locked up in the manor for all her life. She really didn't know any better. Perhaps this arrangement the Queen wanted to make was a good thing. 

The Lady gave her hard look, "You're too bold, Madam. Watch your tongue."

"My apologies, my Lady."

Katrine sighed never the less, "But you are right... Ciel may be younger than me, but he's older than me in mind. Far more mature than what I'd thought him to be. However, at the same time, he is still just a boy... And regardless of what I feel about him, or perhaps what he thinks of me, he is already promised to another girl."

"Who did your Majesty suggest?"

"A few suitors," Katrine looked at the letter again. "She requests me to do a coming out ball, now that I'm healthy. First she suggested Charles Grey and Charles Phipps, but that would require me moving to Whales. Then she listed a few widowers which I will not consider."

"There are many bachelors, my Lady. Aleister Chamber, for instance,"

"A womanizer in his own right. Not to mention he was caught and arrested months ago for organizing and hosting a Black Market auction. Marrying him will not help my reputation with my citizens," Katrine sighed. 

"There are younger suitors, my lady. I heard just last year that the Trancy child was finally found after nearly fourteen years of being missing. He will be turning fifteen sometime this week or next."

"Perhaps," Katrine sighed. "He may be too humble, being kidnapped and away all his life... He probably doesn't know too many people. I don't need a child by my side, I need a man. I suppose a Coming Out Ball is appropriate. Tell Daniel to make the arrangements." 

"Yes, my Lady," Evangeline stood up. "Is that all you wish to talk about?"

"Yes... No..." She sighed exhausted, and pushed herself off her seat, and walked over to the window. "I want to be intimate with Ciel, but now for not the same reason we initially began with. I don't want to feel this way... I realize it's too soon. But every night I see more of him, and every night I let my wall crumble."

The Matron watched her closely before walking up behind her, and placing her hands on her shoulders, "I must agree with you that it is too soon. This is your first fancy...You've been in this manor for far too long, and you have been spending all your time with the Phantomhive boy. Perhaps you should let this week pass without this plan of yours. You will be cleared of your name, and then you can move on, and live your life."

"Live my damned life," she sighed and leaned against Evangeline's body. "But perhaps you're right. While most girls my age will be more than willing to defy the parental authority, I have never been most girls, especially as a teenager."