Iman Khalil Valentine

———————

The table was quiet. Everyone looked at Kamari like he had really lost his mind. Even the little twin girls were looking at him. I'm not sure if he felt like everyone was going to brush it under the rug, but I don't believe he expected this reaction. The look on his face showed that.

"Excuse me?" Mom broke the silence as she looked at Kamari, clearly not happy with his decision.

Kamari scratched his head, and cleared his throat. "I said I'm not going to rehab. I don't think I need to anymore. I mean, look at me. I'm doing well. I haven't thought about a pill and we all know I'm not contacting Sean again. I'm good, ma."

She looked at him while shaking her head in disappointment. She briefly exchanged a look with dad before returning her gaze back to Kamari. "Okay." She nodded, placing her hand under her chin and leaned forward. "So, why did you need the pills in the first place? If you so good now, why it took you so long to get off them. Because, see, I don't buy what you're telling me, Mari. You've been addicted to those pills since your freshman year in high school. Not college, but high school. So, tell me what was the issue. And how did you solve it?"

Everyone looked at him waiting for him to answer. His face contorted in disbelief. He shook his head at mom. "Why are you doing this in front of everybody?"

Mom lifted her eyebrow. "Well, you announced to everyone that you weren't going so, of course, we and especially I, want an explanation. I'm sure Farrah wants to know as well."

Kamari sat back. He looked at Farrah who was wiping a few tears that had fell from her eyes. "I just told you why."

Mom shook her head. "Mm, no you didn't. Never did I believe that those pills were for sleep. They are pain pills. I think you used them for exactly what they are called: pain. Not physical pain, but emotional pain. You're hiding something from us. Sell me on the fact that you don't need rehab or, at the very least, therapy." This time, she sat back and crossed her legs. She didn't crack a smirk, smile or anything. Maybe that lady had really pissed her off, but she wasn't here for Kamari doing the same.

"I'll take the little ones to the back." Scarlett announced. Her, Ascaria, Ryan, and Malachi went to the back with the twins. I had a feeling that we weren't leaving until mom got some answers.

"I'm just tired." Kamari ran a hand down his face and sighed heavily.

"Talk to us, yo. That's what we do right?" I looked at him. "We used to talk about everything and you just shut me out. Like, you don't trust me, or mom, or dad?"

Kamari looked at me then up at dad. "I don't trust him." Now, all of the focus shifted from him to dad, who had somewhat of a surprised look on his face. Mom seemed to be confused as well. Hell, the whole damn table was. "Did you sleep with that woman?" He asked, referring to Victoria.

Dad sat back in his seat, and folded his arms across his chest. "No."

"Bullshit." Kamari blurted out.

"Kamari, where is this coming from?" Mom asked.

He chewed on his bottom lip, and shook his head. "I watched you cry over him so many times. Only for him to continue breaking your heart. That stuck with me. I still resent him for that. Then, he tells me that he is having another kid by this other woman?!" Kamari abruptly stood up. "I love Ryan to death. That's my little sister. But, you don't know how many nights mom cried because she wasn't the only one having your baby girl. You don't deserve her. Never have."

"That was a long time ago, baby." Mom stood up as well.

"Stop defending him!" Kamari roared causing mom to pause.