Chapter 7

This is just too much for me. Too many things had been revealed to me, but the only question is...who should I believe?

I bit my lip and ran my fingers through my hair. It's a habit. I do it when I'm overthinking about something. There's this guy named Kendrick in front of me who just told me that my boardmate is his half-brother while my boardmate told me that he's this guy's cousin. This is just too much. I don't even know who to trust.

"What's wrong?" He took a step towards me and I took a step back.

"Don't get near me!" I scowled at him.

"Liberty, I'm not gonna hurt you. I'm telling the truth." He told me calmly with a hint of nervousness in the tone of his voice. What is he nervous about anyway?

"How can I believe you that you won't hurt me?" Damn it! I can't hide the fear I've been feeling all this time with all this fidgeting.

"Liberty, I--"

"DON'T GET NEAR HER!" A familiar voice shouted.

Kendrick looked behind me and I turned around to see who it was. I don't know why I felt secured when I saw him standing there.

"Chase!" I sighed of relief and ran to him.

FUCK THIS! It's the first day of school and there's a lot of drama going on already. I closed my eyes, hoping that this is all a dream and just wake up next to my sister in our old house and be awoken by our father's loud knocking on the door of our room.

"What are you doing here, Kendrick? Didn't we have a deal to stay out of each other's lives?" Chase shouted.

Too bad, Liberty, you're not dreaming this time. I took a deep breath and sighed. I opened my eyes and noticed that I've been holding Chase's hand this whole time and he has a tight grip.

"Well, if you'll stop annoying Liberty for once, then I guess our deal will still be okay." Kendrick shouted back.

What are they even talking about? How am I connected to this deal?

"Why do you care about me annoying Liberty?" Chase replied with a silly grin.

"I just...don't want others to be annoyed by you and I can't be half connected with someone as shameful as you are, brother."

"We're NOT brothers!" Chase fired at him.

"Whatever Chase. You still can't accept the fact that we have the same blood running through our very own veins. Well you know what??? GROW UP!"

Kendrick walked away leaving me and Chase speechless. I'm really confused. Chase sighed and I looked at him closely. The Chase I knew that kept annoying me and his ridiculous grin is gone. He looked really stressed out. He closed his eyes for a moment, breathed heavily, then smiled at me. He reached out to me and he locked my hair behind my ear.

"Not a hair out of place." He sounded contented.

"T-thanks..." and that's all I can really say.

As I looked down, I felt his hand touch my chin and gently lifted my head up. One single move and our nose will be touching. I looked straight into his eyes and damn, my heart is racing so damn fast. I can smell his cologne and it felt as him I could sniff him forever.

"Liberty..." he looked straight into my eyes.

I bit my lip and closed my eyes. This is it, my first kiss will be with the dude who I hated since the day we met.

1...

2...

3...

4...

5...

Okay, 5 seconds had passed and why didn't I feel any lips on mine? I opened my right eye and saw him with that stupid grin again.

"You actually thought I was about to KISS you?!" He laughed so hard that everyone turned their attention to us.

Now my cheeks are getting really red, not because of the shame but because of the fury I'm feeling for this guy right now.

"YOU SHITFACE DUMBASS JERKPID!!!" I shouted at him, really loud that the birds that were probably resting on the trees flew away. (If you're wondering what jerkpid is, it's the combination of "jerk" and "stupid")

I left him there, still laughing. I hope he doesn't get enough oxygen to laugh and just die. I am seriously hoping for that.

***

"Hey, wake up..."

Someone is poking me in the back.

"5 more minutes mom." I groaned.

I heard a chuckle then heard a 'click' on a camera. I quickly sat up and looked at the guy who disturbed my slumber.

"Kendrick?" I rubbed my eyes to see a clearer view of him and he's just staring at me, with a grin on his face just like Chase.

He reached out to his pocket and pulled out a handkerchief then wiped my cheek with it. Have I been drooling all this time?!

"Thanks..."

SILENCE

"Was it all a dream?" I started talking to break the awkwardness between us.

"You mean what happened a while ago behind the school?"

SHOOT! All of those happened? They really are half-brothers? And most importantly... I THOUGHT CHASE WAS GONNA KISS ME?!?!?!?!?!

"My life is over!" I hit my head with a book and he put his hand on my forehead to stop me.

We're both alone in the library and the clock says that it's already 6 o'clock p.m. My classes ended two hours ago but I decided to head here in the library and do some advance studying 'cause I'd rather be alone here than be at the boarding house with Chase.

He looked at me with his eyebrow slightly raised.

"Nevermind." I told him and stuffed my books inside my bag and started walking...although I can sense that he's following me.

"What is it?" I turned around to face him.

"I just want to...apologize...including my brother's part. We got you all confused and I just don't want to turn your life miserable because of us."

"But why is Chase so cold towards you?"

"It's a long story...But I promise that I'll tell you all about it tomorrow."

I nodded. I decided to not push the subject even more. This day has been a really tiring one with all these drama and schoolworks. Kendrick seemed to notice because he offered to drive me home. He owned a black Honda and I called shotgun.

He sat on the driver's seat.

"Comfy?" he asked and I nodded.

I closed my eyes and the engine roared to life, then one second after, I slowly drifted off to sleep.