Chapter Five

With Austin still in the medical ward, Andy did not have a partner for the appraisals. After warm-up, Madame Carolyn wanted to move straight to the partner work, waving for the students to stand up the piano in the corner of the room.

The panel of head teachers sat in front of the room at a table. They noted down every little detail and it was driving the dancers crazy.

As she waited at the side, Andy fidgeted with her wrap skirt. It was made of a translucent white material with black fractured lines that looked like creepy branches. In line with the dress code, only neutral colours were allowed and most of the girls chose to wear black while the boys stayed in their regulation white shirt and black tights.

All of the girls had their hair in tight, simple buns; no chignons or fancy braided buns allowed. Tights were tucked into pointe shoes instead of being folded up and replaced with whacky socks – a trend that Julia and McKayla consistently kept alive.

"Are my straps twisting?" asked McKayla as she fiddled with the lace pieces that ran down her lean, graceful back.

When it was Andy's turn, Madame Carolyn looked around, and then got Lee Parker, Casillith's partner, to do the dance with her. Just before they began, Lee placed his warm, reassuring hands on her waist.

Although it did feel different, Lee was better than Austin was when it came to understanding her limits. From the way he kept her on pointe, absolutely certain of the delicate balance, to the way he ensured Andy kept her turning speed natural.

In the last duet, Andy never managed to complete the final set of turns. Somehow, Lee noticed her hesitation, put a firm hand on her waist, and gave her a boost. Andy beamed as she sunk into a graceful kneel.

"Thank you," she whispered as they walked back to the side.

Lee smiled. "It's no problem.

"Great job," said Cass with a wistful smile.

"What's wrong?" questioned a concerned Lee as he wrapped his arm around her.

She sighed. "I just really want a role in this year's winter performance... but I don't see how I'll ever settle for a minor character."

Lee tightened his hold on her and Cass's hands came up to grip his strong arms. "You were the lilac fairy in this summer's Sleeping Beauty, and Odette in the Spring Sonata production. What makes you think you'll be any less?"

"It isn't a crime to have goals," reasoned Andy. "But I'm not sure what to say."

"Lee! Casillith! Back to the centre!" screeched Madame Carolyn.

Cass knelt on the floor as the waterfall of piano notes began. She kept her expression blank as she launched into the lyrical piece.

Then, running to back, she met Lee in the centre and used her momentum to do the turn sequence. Her leg extensions were perfectly high and straight while her arms were softly shaped.

Everyone had their turn to do that dance before Madame Carolyn moved to barre and centre. Andy had sweat pouring down her back from trying to make all her actions look simple. Her cheeks were hurting from smiling so much.

Then, after class McKayla, Julia, and Cass went to visit Austin while the boys made a quick trip down to the cafeteria to get Austin some food. The girls said their goodbyes to the other classmates and Madame Carolyn before hurrying out of the room.

Austin had been moved to a ward, one of the eight available in the School of Ballet. The School of Culinary Arts had a larger medical wing, but so far, no one had gotten sick enough to be transferred there.

The sharp sting of antiseptic hit Andy's nose when she walked in. Julia approached one of the nurses to ask where Austin was. Kindly, she led them to ward four, holding the door open for them before going back to her tasks.

"Hey girls," said Austin, pushing himself to sit up. "I didn't know the secret to getting girls was to fall terminally ill," he remarked.

"Oh shut up, you're not terminally ill," snapped Julia.

McKayla curled up in the armchair, her duffle by the floor by her feet. Awkward as ever, Andy just stood in the corner.

Then the boys burst into the room with one of the trays from the cafeteria. Lee knelt by the bed with the tray.

"Presenting your lunch," he announced as Jaxton, McKayla's partner, set up the table. "We have Cesar salad, grilled chicken, and mashed potatoes."

After setting down the tray, Lee moved over to stand with Cass, putting his arm around her shoulders. Julia's partner was busy and he was not too close to their group. Cass and Lee had the best chemistry out of everyone in the class.

"Guys are you really going to sit here and watch me eat?" asked Austin.

"Oh right," said Lee, steering Cass out of the sickbay.

McKayla grabbed Jaxton by the arm and started hauling him out. He punched her in the arm jokingly before walking out on his own.

"Hey," Andy said after Julia left.

She climbed onto the bed, stretching out her sore legs on the white linen. Relaxing into a slouch, Andy released her hair from the tight chignon and braided it to hide the weird waves left behind.

"How have you been?" she asked, playing with the hem of the blanket.

Austin shrugged. "I have some really bad news."

"How bad?"

He shook his head. "Really bad."

Raising a brow, she folded her arms and said, "Try me."

"I can't continue dancing. They've found the cause of my fever." He paused, pressing his fingers to the bridge of his nose and exhaling sharply. "I've got synovium and they're not going to let me continue."

Andy wrapped her arms around his strong torso, breathing in a mix of his familiar scent and the anti-bacterial soap he was using. He took in a shaky breath.

"I don't know what to do," he confessed. "Ballet has been my life."

"You'll go back home and get to spend some time with your brother, isn't that great?" Andy rubbed his shoulders. "You can apply for college and get a degree."

"But I..."

She shook her head. "It's time to move on."

Defeated, Austin sighed and his shoulders fell. He wiped away as his tears, stopping them before they could fall. Trying to stay strong, he avoided Andy's gaze.

"I'm so sorry," whispered Andy as she clung to him – as if a hug would change anything.

They sat in silence, Andy holding onto him as he wept. She could not feel his pain, but she cried with him.

"Andy?" he said when the hiccups finally stopped and he was feeling better.

"Yes?" she asked, breaking away and rubbing her red eyes.

"Thanks for being there for me, for all these years."

"No problem, Aussie."