Chapter Fourteen

"I'm back!" Althaia Artino announced as she returned with Andy's finished costumes.

She bustled into the room with the dresses barely contained in her arms. With a bright smile of satisfaction, she headed past the students. Andy's costumes were the last to be finished.

Setting them down on the closed grand piano, she beckoned Andy over. With Principal Kensington's permission, Andy went over to try on the magnificent ball gown.

"So we'll have your hair half-pinned up, and-"

"Are you done?" interrupted a rather bored Richard Kensington.

He sat cross-legged on the plastic chair at the front of the studio, his coffee tumbler one hand, and his notebook in the other.

Althaia Artino looked like she was trying her best to withhold her death stare. She swallowed with much difficulty and readjusted her glasses. Tightly, she replied, "Yes, in fact, I am."

As Andy headed back to the centre, Mrs Artino muttered a few sentences to herself regarding Richard – none of them good, of course.

"And once last time!" said Richard Kensington. "Ethan, remember your technique! Same goes for you, Andy!"

Someone ran into Andy as the students scrambled to get into formation. The person's should rammed into her ribs, knocking the air from her lungs as whoever it was ran past.

The ungraceful thud of Andy hitting the ground stopped everyone in his or her tracks. It caused a lull in the conversation sudden enough to stop Richard Kensington in the middle of his long drag of coffee.

"What is it this time?" he demanded irritably.

William raised his hand, volunteering the answer. "I ran into Adrianne, sir."

Then the room waited for things to blow up as Andy peeled herself off the floor.

Pulling off his frameless reading glasses, Principal Kensington stood up. Systematically, he put down his notebook, pen, and coffee before walking over with his hands behind his back.

In the silence, William had his head down. He trembled slightly as the other students held their breath.

Andy jumped when Principal Richard placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Are you alright?" he asked.

Shocked and speechless, Andy could only nod.

"Ethan, come help Andy up," he commanded as he rose and returned to the front.

Before she could warn him, Ethan placed his hand on her sweaty back. Despite his best efforts, she caught his grimace.

"Can you stand?" he asked.

Andy shrugged. "I'm just a little dizzy."

"Can we start?" Richard strained to between the students to Andy.

She nodded then went to take her place. As she passed William, she squeezed his shoulder. "Don't worry about it."

"I'll be more careful next time."

Ethan patted his messy mop of hair. "It's all cool."

Breathing in deeply, Andy found the centre and stepped into her preparatory position. Ethan gingerly put his hands on her waist, careful to avoid her back this time. When the music started, they waltzed along to the rhythm.

Ethan counted aloud under his breath. He kept strict time as Andy flowed like water, guided by his arms.

A slight slip underfoot caused her to stumble slightly, but with the wave of an arm and a gentle smile, Ethan led her on.

"Yes, yes, very good," said Richard Kensington, not missing anything. "Sharper turns, Steffi!" he called.

Rehearsal ended late as usual and Andy found herself rushing back to her dorm the moment Principal Richard dismissed them. Whether she was trying to avoid another awkward conversation with Ethan or get to work on time, she could not decide.

After showering, she put on a pair of black skinny jeans and a grey cotton shirt. Pulling on a maroon sweater, she grabbed her phone and room keys before bolting out of the dorm.

As she ran, she fought the urge to shiver as the chilly autumn wind swept through the clearing. The empty branches of the surrounding trees reached up to the sky, creating the jigsaw of the clouds that foreshadowed a heavy downpour – or early snow.

"Hey Deacon, was that the delivery guy?" she asked the moment she got behind the counter.

"Yup," he replied, labelling the boxes with a permanent marker.

Andy put on her apron and tied up the straps. "Charged it to the shop?"

She got an annoyed expression from Deacon in return.

"Do I look like I've got money to pay for everything?"

Shrugging, she chuckled as she started moving the milk cartons to the fridge. As she shut the door, someone pressed the service bell at the front counter.

"Andy, could you get that?" said Deacon as he picked up another box of paper cups.

Briefly pausing to compose herself, Andy moves to the cashier and picked up the permanent marker by the cups. "What can I get you?" she asked.

She ticked off the list as the person recited her order; a soymilk hot chocolate with no sugar or whipped cream. Smoothly, Andy took her money and rang up her order on the register before moving to prepare the drink.

After she finished, she pulled out her calculus textbook and began catching up on the more advanced form of differentiation. With her earphones on, Andy was able to ignore the buzz of the café and focus on her work.

A tap on her shoulder interrupted her.

"What?" she snapped, pulling out her earbuds.

"I'll be leaving now," said Eli, shifting uncomfortably.

Andy just gave him an awkward nod in return.

He walked through the café to get to the front door and swore audibly as the storm began. The rain was like a heavy curtain, falling like a net and ensnaring anyone who was foolish enough to head out to the open field.

Without turning back, Eli headed out into the rain, sprinting through the field with a hand over his eyes. Andy stifled a groan as he ran past a couple who had begun their heated make-out session in the rain.

Inching up to her ear, Deacon began to sing Taylor Swift's Sparks Fly in a low voice.

"Drop everything now; meet me in the pouring rain. Kiss me on the sidewalk, take away the pain."

Andy batted him away as she rolled her eyes.

"I wasn't talking about Thea and James, you know?" Deacon said.

Now she was confused. "Then I don't know what you were talking about."

Chuckling, Deacon straightened up. "I was talking about Aellius, moron."

"You better shut up before I got you."

As he walked off, Deacon sang the remaining bit of the chorus in his signature, off-key style.