Chapter Six

Groaning, Andy shaped her hand into a fist and smashed her alarm clock into silent submission. It was Sunday. Who wakes up this early on a Sunday?

Andy, the girl who has to go to work and get people their daily dose of caffeine since that's what society functions on.

She got out of bed, shivering from the chill of the morning. After showering, she fixed her hair and applied some light make-up then put on an acceptable white polo shirt and a pair of comfortable yoga pants. Finally, she packed her bag and slipped on a pair of white plimsolls before dashing out of her room.

"Oh no you don't," said Julia, catching Andy before she could get to the main door. "You're having breakfast right now." She steered Andy into the kitchen and made her sit at the breakfast bar.

McKayla had stayed overnight instead of going home, and that meant pancakes.

"Breakfast is served," chirped Casillith. She delivered a fresh stack to the table on a clean white porcelain plate.

Andy accepted the fork and giggled as Julia got Cass to dance to the pop song playing on the radio. She ate quickly since she was opening today.

"See you later!" she called, grabbing her bag and continuing on her way.

"Stay awesome, babe!" yelled McKayla.

The sun was weak on the clockwork courtyard as Andy jogged past. She chose to make her way through the field since it had been rather dry recently.

Leaves crunched underfoot, stirred up by the wind that blew unhindered by the empty trees. Ravens made themselves at home in the bare branches, calling to each other, sending chills down Andy's spine.

She opened the shop and started pulling the chairs off the tables and wiping everything down. Half an hour later, the machines were running and the floors were just about dry after she mopped them earlier. However, there was still no sign of Eli.

Sighing, she called Rachel.

"Hey girl, what's up?" asked Rachel. "Is Eli there yet?"

"He isn't, that's why I'm calling. What do I do now?"

Rachel breathed heavily on the other end. "Give him a call. I won't be in the office today, but I'll step in if I have to. You can do it, Andy."

Steeling her nerves, Andy dialled the number labelled 'Aellius Johnson'.

"What?" he barked rudely into the phone. Andy winced at the volume difference.

"Hi it's Andy; I'm calling to check if you're on your way over to the Brew House."

"I'm not."

Well, that turned awkward for Andy very quickly. She calmed herself and decided to take charge.

"You don't have a choice. This is your job and commitment until you quit and I haven't seen any resignation letters from you."

"What do I get if I come?" he asked, his words slightly slurred.

Andy thought for a moment. "You'll get your weekly pay check."

"Not enough."

"Just get your ass here." She hung up, slamming the phone into the receiver.

McKayla is the first customer. She comes in with a bag stuffed so full, it looked like it was about to burst.

"Hey, can I have a latte and a mushroom and chicken quiche?" she said, setting down her things.