Prologue

~+~

The woman lays awake
With her left side pressed against the bed.

Her eyes are forced shut and her breaths are shallow with nervousness. A shadow falls upon her. It blocks the moonlight that dimly seeps through the glass windows.

The man's fingers brush against her bare shoulder and for a second she feels her heart stop. Shivers run down her spine after his cold skin makes contact with her flushed one.

Her husband sleeps beside her, unaware. And between them sleeps their four year old daughter who's head rests upon his arm. But unlike her husband, the woman knows, she knows why the tall man with startling white hair had made his way into her house.

The man leans forward and she feels his face hover over hers. He looks over her to her daughter- her long eyelashes cast shadows upon her face.  She stirs in her sleep-as if sensing the man that peers down upon her. His breath tickles the mothers face as he leans closer. And with each closing second the mother's heart thumps harder against her chest and for a moment she contemplates whether he can hear it going -Thump.Thump .Thump.
---
The man doesn't need to hear the hammering beat of her heart to know that the woman is awake. He rests his left hand on the wooden side table and leans in further - his lips are centimetres away from her ear. His lips move slowly in the silence of the dark, revealing a secret not hers to keep. With each word that leaves his mouth her eyes close shut tighter, until they hurt enough to bring out tears.

When he finishes, the moonlight falls down on her again, and the man that once stood above her-was a ghost from a dream.

~+~