Headstrong

3 months later

3 months later...

Maeve had finally been cleared by her personal doctor, the NYPD doctors as well as two different psychologists. She couldn't wait to get back to work. She was tired of sitting at home. She'd already binge watched all of her favourite shows on Netflix. She had also tried working through things with Nick. That had been painful. While she was the one who would have to live with the physical repercussions of what he'd had to do to save her life, he was still living with the guilt of having to choose. While they had never formally talked about where their relationship was headed, both of them had wanted children, and now, that chance was gone. They'd have to either accept that they'd never have kids or they'd have to find another way to start a family. She'd also moved apartments. She was now living in a smaller apartment, but closer to work and it had much better security.

She finished getting dressed, pulled her hair into a ponytail and went to her gun safe. It would be the first time since the attack that she'd actually wear a holster. She wasn't counting the last couple weeks where she had to prove herself competent. She was back on Active Duty as a Detective in Manhattan's Special Victim's unit. She grabbed her lunch and her bag and headed to the Precinct.

She made her way up the stairs to her desk. She had come in really early and was thankful to see that no one else was there yet either. She put her lunch in the fridge and starting going through case files that had been piled up for the last 6 months. She noticed that most of them had been closed out and signed by either Rollins or Nick. She sighed. She knew that those cases couldn't just sit open until she came back. There had been the chance that her physical therapy wouldn't have worked or she may not have been cleared by the department shrinks. People need closure, so her files had to be finalized by her teammates in her absence. She got up and put each file in their respective places and went back to her computer to check on any updates or upcoming training sessions that may help get her back into shape for the job.

"Good morning." Liv's voice made Maeve jump.

"Sergeant!" Maeve exclaimed. "Good morning... you, uh... startled me."

"I'm sorry." Liv smiled kindly. "I didn't think you'd be in so early."

"Old habits... I guess, now that I live closer, I won't have to leave so early in the morning."

Liv laughed. "Ah, yeah, well moving will do that to a person. You all settled in?"

"As much as I can... I don't really have any files to close out."

"Don't worry." Liv patted her shoulder. "Something will come up, always does."