Chapter 7 - Kissing Games

Thanks for reading so far, this chapter changes everything really.

The song for this chapter is The Maccabees - 'Toothpaste Kisses', a beautiful song.

The picture on the side is Rae.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

A Novel Idea, Noah's mum's book store was seriously called A Novel Idea; I shook my head chuckling and pushed through the door. Wow, this place is awesome, I didn't even know it existed and I bought a lot of books; they were the one thing I really splurged on.

Shelves of books lined the walls from floor to ceiling, shoulder height cases stood to my right holding more volumes. At the back of the room a wooden staircase led up to more books, on it's left was a counter with a girl of about 15 behind it, she had similar hair and features to Noah.

Straight to my left was a seating area with armchairs occupied by parents and young children. Right in the corner sat in a traditional wingback chair was Noah, he had a book in his hands and was reading to the assembled group.  

He smiled at me when he saw me then carried on reading aloud, the girl behind the counter waved me over.

"Hi, you must be Evie. I'm Bonnie, Noah's sister." She offered her hand to me smiling, I took it and shook.

"He's nearly finished." I turned, leaning my back against the counter watching Noah interact with the children.

"Does he do this every Saturday?"

"Yeah dad used to do it, until he moved away. Noah took over, he's amazing with the kids; he does the voices and everything.-

All the kids listened intently as he finished the story, they all oohed and aahed and gasped in delight. My face stretched into a grin, they all crowded round Noah and thanked him before their parents dragged them away.

Finally free from the crowd he strolled over smiling.

"Hey." He came and leaned against the counter next to me, that's when I noticed the little boy hiding behind his legs. I cleared my throat and nodded directing Noah's attention towards him.

"Dewey, my man. I almost forgot your mum said she might be late. Come here." He turned around, picked the boy up and placed him on the counter; offering his hand for a high-five. Bonnie did the same leaving the boy with a really cute smile on his face.

"I want to introduce you to a special friend of mine. Dewey, this is Evie. Evie this is Dewey." He looked at me shyly, then to Noah and back to me. I held my hand out for a high-five too and after a moment's hesitation he slapped me and grinned widely.

"His mum will be here in a few minutes, she had to go into work." Noah whispered quietly in my ear, making me shiver.

"I hear you do this every week. I never had you pegged as a storyteller."

"That's because you don't know the real me. You only know the idea everyone else has perceived of me, but they don't really know me." It was true, all my opinions of him had been formed on what other people had told me.  

This past week had been the first time I'd properly spoken to him an it was all because of that stupid bet!

" Hi honey. Sorry I'm late Noah, the meeting took longer than I thought." A woman either long black hair swept into the store, she picked up her son - who was her spitting image - and held him on her hip. " Hope he was alright. Can you remind your mother about brunch tomorrow?"

"He was fine, I'll tell her later Josie. See you next week." The woman carried her son out of the door, both of them waving as they left.

"You ready?" I nodded. "Bonnie, you sure you'll be okay till mum gets back." He turned to his sister who rolled her eyes at him.