Chapter 11

“Why couldn’t Cal come outside?” I asked Marcello as we walked to the freeway which just happened to be on the other side of the forest.

“He was turned. We can’t walk outside that easily.”

“Weren’t you and I turned?”

                There was a break in the conversation as we reached the Italian’s truck. It was, and I so mean this, shiny. I wasn’t sure how long it had been there, but it looked brand new. I was almost jealous that he had such a sweet ride.

“Get in.”

                Pulling me out of my somewhat jealous state, I looked at the other vampire and frowned, my hands finding their way to my hips. Did he really think he could side track me so easily? Sure, it was a very good try, but I wasn’t stupid or a cheerleader.

“Tell me how it’s possible for us to go out in the daylight.”

“No.”

“Tell me.”

“You seriously don’t want to know.”

“Try me.” I urged, taking a step closer to the goatee wearing man. “I’m a big girl.”

                We locked eyes for a moment before he gave up. A sigh escaped his lips and he scratched his chin. I could tell that he didn’t really want to tell me, but I had to know. It was important to me.

“Have Devon tell you. He’s your uncle after all.”

                I blinked and backed away from him. He had a point, Devon was my uncle though we hadn’t dove into that particular topic yet. Lowering my gaze, I opened the car door and pulled myself inside. Closing the door, I rested my head on the window and looked back at the forest we had come from not so long ago.

                Wasting no time, Marcello walked around to the driver’s side and opened the door. Like me, the Italian wanted nothing more than to get out of there. I wanted to leave so I could ask Devon some questions and Marcello; well I wasn’t sure why he was in a rush.

“Everything alright?”

                The other froze with his eyes on me as he was partially in the cab of the truck. We both knew who the voice belonged to. Not by name, but by classification or, in this case, smell. Whoever had spoken to Marcello was definitely a hunter.

“Yeah, I just had to stop and let the truck cool down.” Marcello lied, his voice loosing that hint of Italian and becoming completely American. I made a note to ask him about that later.

                With his eyes, the vampire motioned for me to get in the back seat as he got out and turned to look at the hunter. Where I had already been injured once that day, I obliged happily and hauled my ass to the back. Thankfully, Marcello kept the cab of the truck clean, making my disappearing act a lot easier than it could have been.

                Once I was situated, I lay down and played with them hem of my shirt. The whole time I listened in and out of their conversation. It was uninteresting crap, like ‘be careful around here’ and ‘do you carry silver?’ I wasn’t sure where that guy had taken his ‘don’t seem like a complete weirdo’ classes, but he needed to retake them. After a while, Marcello waved to the hunter and watched as he drove off before getting into the truck. I flinched slightly as he slammed the door. Did he want to break the damn thing?

“What was up with that?” I asked cautiously, sitting up in the back before leaning against the two seats in front of me.

“With what?”