Chapter 5

Sticking my key in the lock, I frowned and turned it slowly, hearing the metal wheels turn ever so slightly as they unlocked.

            Looking at me for a moment, I could see Devon contemplating before shrugging his shoulders. “That would certainly be something to look forward to.”

 “What was the purpose of you coming here?” I asked, wanting Devon to stay a little longer. He knew things that I need- no, wanted to find out.

                He gave me that smile of his again and bowed his head slightly before leaving the café. I watched him intently as he did so, scared that I would miss something important. I was so busy watching him that I had failed to notice my friends come back to the table in a rush. Each one scared and interested about what had happened.

“Don’t bother asking me.” I told them quickly when I finally realized they were there. “I just want to get home.”

                That’s how I went from there to here, opening the front door and instantly noticing that the glass table near the love seat was no longer a shattered mess or even there at all. As I closed the door and locked it I looked around curiously. Part of me didn’t want to be in the house any longer than I had to while the other part wanted to change into some shorts and lounge around as if nothing had happened.

 “That would certainly be something to look forward to.”

            What the hell did he mean by that? Did he want me to become whatever he was? Was it even possible with my bloodline? Did I even want to know what he meant? Okay, that last one was stupid. Of course I wanted to know! Who wouldn’t want to know if they had to live during the night or…Or…?

Sh*t!!!

            I had gotten so caught up in Devon talking about vampires that I let the most important thing slip away. How were Christian and he able to walk during the day time? I was certain that there had to be more vampires like them that could walk during the day, but how many? Hundreds? Thousands? Millions? The very thought shook me at the center.

            Dropping my book on the table beside the door, I strode over to the loveseat my parents bought the year before they died and plopped down. Once I was slightly comfortable I reached out for the ivory colored paper that sat on the pressed wood coffee table that I had never seen before today. I know that any normal person would have been paranoid and tensed up, but with all that I had been though, I couldn’t help but relax. Paranoia got you nowhere.

Dear Ezimiah, The ivory colored note read.

            I bought you this table to replace the one that had been broken. Please try to be more careful next time

                                                                                                                                    Sincerely,

                                                                                                                                           Devon

I felt my eye twitch. Who the hell did this guy think he was? Were there not rules about barging into people’s houses and good crap like that? I felt my blood boil and an aching burn build up in my body. Devon was seriously an evil guy. I was sure of it. If he wasn’t then he wouldn’t have broken into my house. Granted he gave me a really nice coffee table and cleaned up the glass, but he was still a bad guy.