Library and Pasts

"You think he was trying to poison us with those raspberries?" Klaus asked as the four of us walked to Miss Justices's front door. "He ate them all so obviously not" I shrugged skipping ahead. "Besides Count Olaf is after the fortune we will inherit, killing us will do him no good" Violet added. "What good would it do to be in a performance of the Marvelous Marriage?" Klaus asked as I rang the doorbell. That was a long walk. "No answer" Violet implied even though It was quite obvious, it was like one of those moments where you need to say stuff out loud. The three of them started wondering somewhere and I just followed them not knowing where to go when we ended up at a very stunning library. "Oh Baudelaire's I'm so happy to see you" Miss Justice gasps and then looks at me. "And who might you be" she ask's enthusiastically. "I'm Eleanor I'm Count Olaf's daughter" I said. "Wait you haven't met" Klaus asked eyebrows furrowed. "No Father never lets me out of the house unless it's for emergencies" I said. Of course I knew who My neighbor was I just never met her in person. "Oh he must be very protective of you" Justice said smiling. "You can say that" I replied. Are you here to continue your research" Justice Strauss questioned happily, which made me confused. What research?  "Actually Justice Strauss we're  here to research something else, Do you have anything on the theater" Violet questioned. The women walked over to a section that read Theater. "Ah the Theater I see your settling in to having an actor for a guardian. I have quite the interest in theater you know. Learning lines and curtsying for the audience and wearing costumes. I would give up every last wig just to wear a costume" Justice said. "Justice Strauss do you have anything on local ordinances?" Klaus asked trying to view the women behind Sunny's head. Strauss then walked over to a section on local ordinances, she must have everything in here gosh. "Ah local ordinances..wait are you sure even I don't like reading such books and I work at the high court" Justice questioned him. "I'm actually considering a career in law, I find those books quite fascinating"
klaus said and I didn't know if he was lying or not. "Well to each its own" Justice Strauss said before going on and on about different types of book. "Sunny would you like to come with me to the garden while your siblings and Eleanor tackle all this reading" the judge said as she took Sunny from Klaus's grasp. "Klaus what's happened to your face" The women asked now taking notice of the red mark on his cheek. Klaus Violet and I looked at each other sharing a similar look. "Were trying to find out" Klaus answered her question. "Well I do have a section on rashes it's right next to Chinese Cars" Miss Strauss said before walking away. Klaus grabbed three books from the shelf and I grabbed two. I took a seat next to Klaus, opening the first book on my stack of two and began reading. You know that feeling you get when you feel like your being watched, well that's how I feel right now. Looking up from the very boring book I met Klaus's chocolate beautiful brown eyes...wait what. Did I really just think that knock out of it Eleanor. "Why are you staring at me like that, is there something on my face" I asked him. His cheeks turned a little pink from me noticing that he was staring. "It's nothing don't worry about it" Klaus said quickly, going back to his book called Nuptial Law before I could reply.
"Justice Strauss" Klaus called the women and right on que the women answered with a yes, stepping into the library. "May I ask you something" Klaus asked her even though he just asked a question. "Certainly" Justice Strauss said placing sunny down on a chair all eyes and ears now on Klaus. "Yes as one legal scholar to another" Strauss said waiting for Klaus to ask her his question. Klaus asked his very long question about something he found in his book. "Well I think it depends upon what you think it means" Strauss answered truthfully. "It means your going to be a star" Count Olaf barged into the room, what was he doing here. "Count Olaf" Justice Strauss said rather surprised by the unwanted visitor. "Please call me your guardian actor. Justice Strauss you are about to find your drab legal existence transformed, into something mind blowing and yet extremely classy. When you become the exciting new face of the next Count Olaf production" Count Olaf said letting go of her hand which he earlier had grabbed. "You, you mean I'm" Justice Strauss stuttered but got cut off by Father. "You got the star quality necessary for a small walk on roll in Al Funcoot's new play" Olaf exclaimed and Justice gasped. I scoffed at this, this was unbelievable, Olaf had everyone rapped around his wrinkled finger and no one knew it. "I've wanted to be an actress since I was young although my drama teacher told me I never had a chance because of my posture and so I went into law but now"~"but now you can see it the curtain rises"~"curtain" Justice gasped ~"the audience applause"~"audience" Strauss said completely awestruck~"and you walk on stage dressed as a judge"~"a judge" she gasped again even though she was a judge for a living. ~"and its a very important part even though you won't be listed in the program. You will stand in front of a very handsome man, played by me." Count Olaf squeezed in. "I get to share the stage with Count Olaf" Justice Strauss expressed happily. Father went over to violet and picked her up from her chair. "And a stunningly costumed bride played by Violet stands beside me" Olaf added as Violet and the rest of us kids didn't know what to say. How could someone be so fooled so easily was beyond me. "Oh Violet your so lucky all my life I wanted to be a bride, but it seems all the men I meet are intimidated by my law degree or are upsets with model traits" Strauss said sadly. "A gorgeous bridal dress of my own design" C.O. Said placing a dirty napkin on The eldest Baudelaire's head and she aggressively took it off. I looked over at Klaus and he had a face full of mixed emotions something along the lines of shock, anger, and unbelievable-ness. "While you perform the entire wedding ceremony each and every word exactly right. While we sign a document which you shall bring from city hall from added realism" Count Olaf said. "Justice Strauss he's up to something" Klaus and I said at the same time. "What I am up to is making Justice Strauss's dreams come true" Count Olaf defended himself trying to act innocent even though he was far from it. "You will suddenly find yourself in the enviable position of being a struggling actress in middle age" Count said. "It's almost to good to be true" Justice said. "It is Count Olaf"~"Count Olaf is welcoming you into his life by making you an important part of this theatrical enterprise. Children go, go home, spend some time with your new father" Justice Strauss exclaimed kicking us out and cutting off Violet. Father growled and pushed Violet and me out the door as fast as he could. I turned my head back just in time to see Klaus sneak the book he was reading into his sweater.

"Boss I have three types of buttercream icing for you to sample, ones Vanilla, ones a hint of nutmeg, and ones a little lemony" the hook man said zoning over to us with a tray of cake slices. I frowned when I saw a wedding cake there as well. "I told you to never say that word" Father said and pushed us away. "Put these Orphans and the other one into their bedrooms until Friday, I have no use of them until then" Olaf said taking a slice of cake. "Unless it's to cook dinner" Hook man said. "We'll order take out"Count Olaf replied. "We'll find out just what your up to Count Olaf" Violet spat walking up the stairs. "We know your just trying to steal our parents fortune and we're going to prove it" Klaus added. The hook man. Threw me into my room and then took the Baudelaires to theirs. I laid down on my rickety bed when I found myself looking at myself through the mirror. Getting up from my sleeping area I walked to the long mirror and I touched my stomach like it was a habit. I raised the dress I was wearing till it reached up until the top of my belly. Don't worry I was wearing tights or leggings or whatever you people call them. My eyes and hand immediately went to the scar the ran along my body, one side to the other making me sigh. "What happened to you" a soft voice called out making me jump and drop the dress. I looked at the direction of the person and it was none other then Klaus Baudelaire. I got scared, did he see it well of course he did, does he think I'm a freak now or ugly. "I just fell down the stairs" I lied to him not looking at him. "You don't have to lie to me, you can trust me Eleanor" he said coming over to me. I looked up at him and as soon as I saw the look on his face I knew I could tell him and that he was sincere. I took his hand with a sigh and dragged him to my bed sitting down. "I got it when I was 9. It was my birthday and let's just say I got Father angry" I began

Flashback

"Daddy" I called him walking up to Count Olaf . "Guess what day it is" I asked him. "Uh...Tuesday" he answered. "No its my birthday" I laughed slightly trying to cover the hurt of him forgetting but it's not like he ever remembered. "Well I didn't get you anything you ungrateful greedy brat now go away" he growled going back to his Newspaper. "Can I ask you something" I asked him nervously. "No" He sneered annoyed. "Well to bad I'm going to ask you any way" I told him fully determined and he just sighed knowing he won't be able to change my mind. Taking in a deep breath "who was my mother" I asked him wincing. He didn't say anything at first but slowly his face turned from an annoyed look into a very very angry look. His face was red and there was smoke coming out of his ears like his head was a tea pot on the stove. "What did you just ask me" he sneered pointing a finger. "I want to know who my mother is, you never talk about her" I told him. "We do not talk about your mother in this house do you understand" He said in a low dark voice. "Why not why can't we talk about her" I questioned him. "Because I said so" He said. "That's not good enough of an excuse" I replied. "Why do you have to be so stubborn" He asked. "You can't even tell me her name" I tried yet again ignoring his question. "Why can't you just learn to obey my orders when I say I'm not going to tell you" He yelled at me. "Because she's my mother I have the right to know, I obey you all the time, but this time I can't" I screamed back. "You will learn to obey me" He sneered slapping me on my right cheek. The impact caught me off guard making me fall to the floor. I got up from the wooden floor and stepped away from him. Count Olaf picked up a beer bottle, tossing it from one hand to the other just looking at it. He threw the bottle at me but I ducked just in time for it not to hit my head, but he threw another one and I was to late to block it. It cut my stomach open.

Flashback end

"So yeah that is how I got that ugly scar I had to sew it close. But I wasn't any bit experienced at sewing so it kept opening until I finally managed for it to just not rip. I lost hope that day of Count Olaf and me really becoming a family I always tried to make myself believe that he wasn't a monster inside but he is and I don't think anyone could change that" I explained to him. I looked at him to find him already looking at me. He brought his hand to my cheek and brushed a finger on it to wipe a tear off my face that I didn't even know fell. "Your scar isn't ugly, if anything its...beautiful because it shows how strong you are to be with someone who abuses you. It shows you can get through anything" Klaus said and I smiled at him. "Your the sweetest person I have ever met Klaus Baudelaire" I said. I had this crazy idea in my head and just decided to do it cause I don't think I would have another chance. I leaned in and kissed Klaus on the lips closing my eyes. I moved back as quickly opening my eyes. It was only a peck, sort of, but it was enough to make us both go red on our cheeks and have butterflies in my stomach. I looked over at him and his eyes were wide open and he was blushing. "Would you like to keep me company while I try to find out what Olaf is planning" Klaus asked me. I nodded my head as a yes and we headed to the his room.