Chapter 10

Pieces of snow flew through the sudden chilly breeze as our opponent used Hail on us, followed by a Blizzard. What is this? I wondered, staring around at my surroundings. All of us were huddled around Shoto, the only one who seemed to be not affected by the temperature. Serket, our mentor, hurled insults at us, seeing that we were not moving from our position. The training room was a silver room, with nothing on the floor and walls except for a little closed in balcony, where Serket sneered at us, and bits of sleet from our opponent's Ice-type attacks.

"Move!" Serket yelled, causing Oberon to flinch. "You can't huddle around that Flareon forever! Attack!" Our opponent, who was apparently a Froslass, started forming a Shadow Ball in her mouth. "I'll take the hit!" I decided, causing Serket to sneer. The attack wasn't very effective on me, but a shudder ran through my body, signifying that my Special Defense had lowered. "Attack!" Serket repeated, causing tiny tears to form on Oberon's face, freeing on his fur due to the cold.

I have to do something, I thought, as I leaped forwards, charging a Night Slash. However, I slipped on the ice, causing my attack to hit Sakura instead. Sakura screamed something in another language, before freezing up fainted due to the cold. Serket sighed. "Use Sucker Punch, you insolent fool!" Oh. I charged up a Sucker Punch, hitting the Froslass this time. However, she shakily revealed that she held a Focus Sash, which crumbled after use. What? No way!

The Froslass responded with a sudden Draining Kiss, causing me to flop over onto the cold, due to it being super effective on both my physical state and my dignity. The attack healed the Froslass, while leaving me at critical health. "Yeast cells..." I heard Shoto mutter as I retreated behind him. "Aren't you cold?" I asked, the chills in my body fading away due to Shoto's body heat. "Nah," he replied, shifting in the puddle of melted ice beneath him. "The cold never bothered me, anyway."

"Wait for me, guys!" Shoto called, stepping forward to face the Froslass. Serket smiled, then frowned upon Oberon, who continued to shiver even more violently. Shoto ignited himself on fire, proceeding to tackle a shocked Froslass. The Froslass was knocked out quickly, the hail stopping. Thank Arceus... I thought, watching Serket go down a secret entrance. "Flareon," she began, only to be interrupted by Shoto. "It's Shoto, miss."

The Ariados smiled. "I like that, Shoto. Asserting yourself is very important." Shoto didn't seem to take it as a compliment, seen by his nervous position. "You've earned the right to call me Serket." "Thanks..." Shoto replied, although his body language didn't seem to show any sign of gratitude. Serket thankfully didn't seem to notice, as she looked over to me. "And you, Absol." In an attempt to earn her favor, which would be great, I decided to interupt her like Shoto did.

However, my interuption came out terribly, becoming a shaky introduction. "My name is Noir..." I stuttered. Serket didn't seem to take it as a sign of assertion, and continued with what she was saying. "You did well." I sighed in relief. "Thank you." I muttered, as she continued to speak. "Use your head in battle more, though. On the battlefield, no one's going to tell you whether to use Sucker Punch or Play Rough." "Sorry." I sighed, as Serket walked away from me.

Serket finally stopped at a shivering Oberon, who whimpered with each of Serket's steps. "And you," she snarled, tears streaming down Oberon's face. Arceus, have mercy on him... "I can understand the others. The Chesnaught and the Swoobat had a type disadvantage, and the Lapras' moves wouldn't have done much." Briggan, carrying a fainted Sakura, and Serene sighed in relief, although Briggan seemed slightly insulted.

"But you," she snarled, Oberon's stream of tears geting more rapid. "were the new moves we gave you not enough?" Oberon continued to shiver even further, his breathing shallow. "You could've used Wish to heal Knorr when she was at critical contition!" It's Noir... I silently fumed, hoping not to get Serket angry at me. "And you had Shadow Ball! Are you too much of a coward to attack!" Oberon was too scared to answer, shivering instead. "Should we bring you back into the...fun zone?" Oberon shrieked in response to hearing Fun Zone. Poor thing...

"Pathetic," Serket muttered, leaving a terrifed Oberon blubbering on the cold floor. "You guys go get healed. After lunch, we'll have another training session." Our group started to stand up, Oberon still on the floor. I should help him, I thought, bending over to help Oberon up. "Don't help him." Serket snarled, as if she read my thoughts. "Everyone but Shoto, head to the principal's office with me after you get healed." I gulped. Who's the principal? And how does she pronounce Shoto's name right? "And Knorr, keep up the good work."