Chapter 12

Gusts of wind blew from the open window, tossing around old snack wrappers. "E-experimented on?" Serene asked, shaking in her position on a rug. "Yes, desu. Over your...training, desu, we were able to sift out the most...sugoi performances, desu." As the news settled in, I turned to Yukki. "What does sugoi mean?" I whispered, wanting to know what the "principal", who was apparently supposed to be called the "leader of the Team Flare Attack Forces", was talking about. "Sugoi means amazing or wonderful, desu." Yukki responded.

Giving up on asking about the "desu", I shifted in my spot on the floor, crumbs sticking to my white fur. "Due to their performances being sugoi, desu, they'll be experimented on, desu. By doing this, desu, they'll become even better members of your team, desu." "But, is the experiment going to hurt?" Blossom piped up from behind me. "I don't want Granny to be in pain, miss President!" The president sighed. "We can't be sure of anything yet, desu. She might not...even make it, desu. This is our first time trying the experiments after all, desu."

The room turned into a collection of gasps, Pokémon all around panicking in a tight space. "Can we at least say goodbye to them? Or good luck?" the Klefki asked, looking as worried as Blossom. "Yeah!" the Aromatisse added. "Can we?" The principal sighed. "Okay, desu." she sighed, causing the panic to lessen a bit. "Just...don't tell Vriska-chan, desu. She'll get really mad with me, desu." I feel you... Most of us in the room shared a common fear; Vriska. However, one of us didn't; Oberon had an intense fear of the Ariados.

Exiting the room, we headed out of a branch in the hallway, which would instantly bring us to the lunch place. Settling down on a table with Oberon, Briggan, Serene, and Sakura, I sighed. "What's going to happen to Shoto?" I asked, scanning the area for a sight of his yellow fur or tattooed arm. Seeing no sign of him, I proceeded to get my lunch from a grumpy looking Machamp, who served 4 Pokémon at once with his four arms. The berry stew plopped messily into my bowl, as I muttered a thanks to the Machamp.

Observing the various berry chunks in the stew I had been given, I noticed Salac berries swimming around in the bowl. Yes! My favorite! I meddled with the stew to see if there were more of my favorites. However, my search revealed a large amount of Ganlon berries. Arceus, why me? I snorted in disgust, hoping someone would eat them for me. Maybe a trade with someone could help? As I thought about possible outcomes to make my stew more enjoyable, I noticed Shoto scooping Leppa berries into his bowl. Maybe Shoto likes Ganlon berries... I'll go ask.

As I was about to speak with Shoto, seeing the Granbull and Slurpuff behind him, I noticed Serket and Vriska behind them. "Choose wisely," Serket crowed, her voice sending shivers down my spine. "Your taste in berries might change after the...procedure." Shoto snorted, probably doubting a change in his apparent love for Leppa berries. As a result, he scooped in an abnormal amount of the red berries, along with a stewed version of them, into his overflowing bowl. I cracked a smile. Last I checked, his ability was Flash Fire, not Gluttony.

   I decided not to trade with Shoto after hearing his conversation with Serket, and proceeded to go over to my table. I plopped down the bowl, unhappy about how Shoto wasn't there, and the somewhat annoying smell of the Ganlon berries on my table. Proceeding to gulp down the Ganlon berried with a bite of Salac berries, I asked, "Sakura, were you friends with Vriska?" Oberon snorted, as if it were absurd. "Seriously?" he asked, his blank expression gone. "Friends? With her? Oh, and Noir? Can I have your Ganlon berries? I'll trade you for these disgusting Salac berries."

   After a satisfied trade with Oberon, I listened to what Sakura had to say. "I'm just an ex-Team Flare member, desu..." she admitted, slightly shy about it. "I just wanted an adventure and escaped, desu. But it looks like I'm back again here desu." After a few moments of Oberon and I happily eating, although I was slightly insulted by him calling Salac berries disgusting, the sound of metal doors brought my attention to Shoto and his companions leaving the room. Looks like Vriska found out about what the president said...

   After lunch, we were instructed to sit and wait in a room. The room looked almost identical to the training room; however, it was missing Serket's little balcony. Instead, it was replaced with a door leading to the experiment room. The room was labelled "Soundproof". Remembering Marie's ability, I deduced that the room was soundproof, indicating that no noise would escape. I hope Shoto will be ok... An Espeon came in with them, and announced, "The experiments will now begin. Please wait here."

   After what seemed to be hours, the Espeon emerged from the room. Beads of sweat ran down my fur as I noticed that Shoto, the Granbull and the Slurpuff weren't with her. "Are they ok?" the Azumarill asked, breaking the nervous silence. "We didn't hear any screams or anything! Are they dead?" the Dedenne added. The Espeon sighed. "The Granbull and Slurpuff are ok." the Espeon announced, as the now slightly modified teammates emerged from the room. "What about Shoto?" I asked, breath shaky. I hope he's ok... The Espeon sighed once more.

   "I'm sorry, but... the Flareon has...passed on."