Chapter 15

A cold shiver ran down my spine, almost as cold as the temperature of the room that I was in. No way! I thought, shivering as he took shaky steps towards me. This is a dream, right? Arceus, tell me it's a dream! Shoto shivered violently, then released a Hail, decreasing the room's temperature once more. Bits of the snow clung to my white fur like the frozen tears on Shoto's face. Shoto charged up a Blizzard, much to my worry. No way! Blizzard can't miss in hail! The Blizzard flew straight at me, my feet too frostbitten to dodge. I've been frozen in place!

   The Froslass responded with a sudden Draining Kiss, causing me to flop over onto the cold, due to it being super effective on both my physical state and my dignity. The attack healed the Froslass, while leaving me at critical health. "Yeast cells..." I heard Shoto mutter as I retreated behind him. "Aren't you cold?" I asked, the chills in my body fading away due to Shoto's body heat. "Nah," he replied, shifting in the puddle of melted ice beneath him. "The cold never bothered me, anyway."

   But now, Shoto shivered every few seconds, twitching as if he was shocked by electricity. "It's so cold," were the only things he would say, as if he was a Leafeon instead of a Glaceon, or a former Flareon. I noticed the chunks of hail falling onto Shoto's pelt, before glowing green and melting into his fur, like the effects of a Potion. His new Ability is Ice Body! I realized. He's going to keep on healing at this rate! Unlike Shoto, the Hail damaged me, icy cold on my freezing fur. It was another pain to add to my list of heartbreak and frozen feet.

   As Shoto charged up another Blizzard, a sudden explosion sounded to his left, filling the room with hot air. Thank Arceus! I thought as I leaned towards the source of heat. Shoto seemed to, oddly, dislike it. He hissed at the heat, as if it hurt him, and directed his Blizzard to the explosion's source. A Garchomp and a Gliscor, both wearing police badges, stepped right into the Blizzard. "We're here to h-" the Garchomp began, only for him and his partner to get caught in Shoto's Blizzard. Almost fainted, the Gliscor cried, "Ouch...".

   "Shoto, now's our chance!" I cried, the ice at my feet breaking away due to the heat. "Let's escape!" Shoto seemed to not hear what I had said, and continued to return to his corner, as if his sudden attack on me didn't happen. "Shoto!" I repeated, seeing the shadows of approaching Pokémon. "We have to hurry! Our...our friends are gone! They don't trust me anymore!" Shoto still didn't respond. "Why...why didn't you tell me I was a criminal!"

   Shoto twitched in his corner. He's not responding... Doesn't he...care about me? Tears began to form in my eyes, rolling down slowly due to the clash of the temperatures. Footsteps were approaching, and the shadows grew larger. "You didn't tell me about how I burned down something in Lumiose! I thought you trusted me!" The shadows and footsteps grew yet larger. Shoto still didn't reply. "I-I thought you trusted me! I thought we were friends!"

   Shoto slowly turned towards me, more tears streaming down his face. "I'm...sorry..." he muttered, before collapsing in a corner. "I...was scared..." Shoto lay down on the floor, his icy blue fur sticking to the floor. "I was scared that you'd hate me... All that stuff about justice that I was muttering about...was a lie..." What? He was...lying? More tears continued to stream down Shoto's face, freezing in mere seconds. "I only went with you...because...I..." What? What's he saying? Is he scrambled in the head? Has the frostbite gone to his brain?

   "Because what?" I asked, desperate for an answer. Shoto only replied with gentle whispers that I couldn't hear. What's he saying? I leaned in closer, only to no avail. As I tried to lean in, Sion and his brother jumped in to the room. Arceus! I forgot about them! "You two are coming with us." Sion commanded, his brother having a hard time adjusting to the cold. However, his brother showed no sign of him being cold. "I don't want to fight opponents who can't fight back. Come with us now, and avoid getting hurt."

   What he's saying is true, I realized, considering our odds. Sion is a Fighting and Steel-type, which is both super effective against me and Shoto... I think it's best if we retreat. "Come on, Shoto..." I whispered. "We're going with them. We don't stand a chance." Shoto didn't resist, and shakily stood with me. "Where...are we going?" he mumbled as we walked towards Sion and his brother. "I don't know where they're taking us..." I responded, as Sion's brother stepped back as we approached, as if we would attack him.

   "Good," Sion grumbled, "but who's the Glaceon? I doubt he's a-" Sion's eyes darted to the tattoo on Shoto's shoulder. "What happened?" he asked. "What did you do to him?" Huh? As if I did that! "It wasn't me!" I protested. However, Sion seemed to believe me. "I'll ask him later. You two, follow me into the helicopter." We walked through the ruined hallway, Shoto literally and figuratively giving me the cold shoulder as he leaned on me. "We'll be taking you to the Pokémon Police Force Headquarters."

   Shoto and I were ushered by a tired looking Weavile into the back, who wasn't very affected by Shoto's aura of coldness. I settled into a small space in between some boxes, and ushered Shoto beside me. As the helicopter took off, I asked Shoto, "Hey, sorry, but I didn't hear what you said earlier." Shoto turned to me and asked, "When?" "Why did you come with me? Why would you come with a criminal?" I asked, trying to hold back my tears. I hope he doesn't whisper this time... I want to know why!

"It's because..." Shoto muttered, "I love you..."