Chapter 2

Carrie woke up early the next day, which happened to be a Saturday. She walked downstairs, hoping to enjoy a peaceful morning while everyone was still sleeping. Unplugging her laptop, and grabbing a cup of coffee, she sat down at the kitchen table, stretching her legs onto another chair.

She turned on her computer, and starting looking for a new comforter for her and Harrison's bed. There were so many different options, but the one had to match the room theme exactly, and the design had to be appealing. Carrie came across a white one with a blue background. Outlining the shape was a light green, which she wasn't very fond of. The light green wouldn't look right in their room.

Carrie saved that one only because of the design and continued looking. By the time she finished looking, that one was still her favorite. She pulled it back up. Maybe there was a way to sew something over the green part. She shrugged and ordered it.

Just as she finished ordering it, her five year old son Adam came running down the stairs. "Mommy, I'm hungry," he said, opening the refrigerator.

Carrie closed her laptop. "What do you want?"

"What can I have?"

She closed her eyes for a second, thinking of every possible thing he could want. "I can make pancakes, waffles, French toast, or you can have yogurt or cereal."

"French toast mommy!"

"Alright sweetie," she said getting up, going into the kitchen. Carrie pulled out the skillet, eggs, cinnamon, and the butter.

"Mommy is it done yet?"

She laughed. "I haven't even started yet."

"Mommy I'm hungry!"

"Adam, you'll live," she teased, turning the burner to medium heat.

"Mommy!"

Carrie trimmed the bread into a football-like shape. She flipped the bread into the skillet. "I just started."

"Ok mommy."

As the French toast cooked, Carrie made a bottle for Emma who would be up soon for sure. The edges of the toast dried, telling Carrie it was time for a flip. "Hey Adam watch this!"

She flipped the toast up in the air, turning, and catching it on the tuner behind her back. "Mommy do it again!"

Carrie did it again. Adam came running over, "can I try it mommy? Please?"

"No honey," she said, sliding the toast off the tuner so it would land on the uncooked side.

"Why not mommy?"

"It requires a lot of practice. Whip cream strings?"

"Yeah."

"Can you grab the whip cream for mommy, please?"

Adam ran the the refrigerator, digging behind everything to pull out the whip cream for his mom. "Thanks honey," she smiled as he handed her the whip cream. "My little helper."

The French toast began to sizzle. "Adam it's done!" He clapped as Carrie scooped it out of the skillet.

"Can you grab mommy a plate please?"