21

PRESENT

After an hour of being back in the operating room, they came back with my body which was at peace again.

Nurses said it was a defect in my brain. But in all reality, it was me fighting. I was so close. I felt it.

I had overhear a nurse saying something as I passed by. "She won't wake up within the three months. It's hard to tell but the chances are slim to none of her ever waking up before the last few days of the third month." She had said.

"There was an abnormality in her brain cells and we are trying to figure out what it could be. We're rested on the case that it could be possible brain damage. After all, her skull was fractured in the accident." She continued.

I bit my lip, returning to the my body. The bruises were healing and the cuts were clearing. The heart monitor said my heart was at average rate.

Touching the body, it sped up by two more beats. I took my hand away, not wanting to cause further damage to myself.

"She's lucky to have even survived that heart attack under such circumstances." The nurse said.

My eyes landed on the necklace. It lied upon my chest, moving along with it. Instantly, I grabbed the necklace around my neck and pulled it off.

Anger boiled in my blood.

Everyone keeps saying I won't make it. Then they say I'll be lucky if I can just fight.

I can't take it anymore.

From Grace to Uncle Brad, to the freaking nurse! That's all I hear.

You can do this.

Just fight.

Give it all of your inner strength.

Venus, you can do this.

Doc, she won't make it.

Brain damage.

Comatose, three months... she won't make it.

She won't make it.

Comatose...fight... she won't make it.

Three months....

Do it, all your strength.... you won't make it.

I screamed, throwing the necklace at a wall in front of me. Tears slid down my cheeks as I dropped down to the floor and bawled my eyes out. I picked and scratched at my baby blue dress.

"Fight, Venus!" I shout to myself. "You're fucking dying!"

My hands pulled on my hair, and my cries echoed the room. As I opened my eyes, they landed on the shattered necklace.

Tiny pieces of the mini Grand Piano shattered around the silver chain.

"What else do you want me to do?" I called out to no one in particular. "I've fought as much as I can. I don't know what else to do."

My sobbing has died down and regained consciousness.

I looked around the plain beige room. My eye stopped on an envelope underneath the bed. I reached over to pick it up.

It's my acception letter. From Juilliard.

I stood up and kissed it, placing it on my hands.

My mind trailed off to Aiden. Why hadn't he come in to see me yet? They let Grace pass through, so what's up with him?

I poured my feelings out to him. He was my best friend.

Suddenly, a pang shot at my chest. Why hasn't he come to talk to me?