Chapter 14

CHARLIE’S POV

I felt a pair of warm hands cover my eyes. I instantly knew it had to be Joe. I had arrived at the restaurant earlier than I anticipated. After waiting outside for several minutes I had fussed with my makeup and hair several times. I worried that the green skirt was too bright and possibly too formal for our first public date. I grabbed onto the hands with my own.

“It took you long enough to get here Joe,” I said pulling the hands from my eyes as I twirled around. “I really can’t stand it when people are late. I’m always yelling at my broth—“ The words broke off in my throat as I realized I wasn’t holding Joe’s hands in mine. I was standing in front of my brother Nate. Joe waved nervously from behind him. “Damn it Nate! What are you doing here?”

“I said I was coming to see you,” Nate said blandly.

“I know. I was supposed to pick you up at the airport tomorrow.”

“I called,” Nate said somehow making it seem like my fault. “Why didn’t you answer your phone when I called you?” I was suddenly tempted to slap him.

“I’m twenty-five!” I snapped. “I don’t have to answer every time you call!”

“As your older brother it is my job to look out for you.”

“I can make my own decisions!”

“No. You can’t. You’ve been here three months and managed to complete nothing. Do you even have a job? Do you know anything about this celebrity you are supposedly dating?”

“I did my research!” I shouted stomping my foot like a two year old throwing a tantrum. Really, Charlie? You did your research? That’s the best retort you have? Joe’s not some stupid book report.

“Um…guys?” Joe asked interrupting our argument. “People are staring.” Nate and I gazed around the front of the restaurant to find everyone’s eyes on us. Something flashed in front of me, and I realized that the paparazzi had appeared. Crap. “How about we take this inside?” Nate and I hurried after Joe into the restaurant.  We were seated quickly thanks to Joe’s celebrity. After the waitress took our order the table was silent for several minutes. Joe looked between Nate and I as we glared at one another. “Are you two going to be okay?”

“Stay out of this popstar,” Nate shot out rudely.

“Nate, stop being mean to Joe,” I hissed. “He doesn’t deserve your bad attitude. You’re mad at me so take it out on me.”

“What are you doing Charlie? This isn’t like you.”

“This?”

“LA. This writing dream. Him.” I growled when Nate pointed at Joe. It didn’t matter that our relationship was part of a business contract. Nate had no right to treat Joe like that. I was about to snap back at him again when Nate sighed. I studied my brother closely for the first time in a long time. He looked tired.

“Nate is everything okay at home?” I asked seriously. “Everyone is doing okay?”

“We’re just worried about you Charlie. The entire family. You moved out here on a whim, and now you’re dating some random celebrity?” I shifted uncomfortably in my seat. Joe reached over to grasp my hand, but I pulled it out of his grasp.

“You don’t need to worry about me. I’m just fine,” I said softly.

“That’s what Della said before—“ Nate broke off unable to finish his sentence. That last comment stung. He was comparing me to Della before she killed herself? It wasn’t the same. Why couldn’t he see that?