XXXIX. Callous

When I got there, I saw Lily barely holding back Levy. She was crying as Gajeel opened his heart to her. I stood frozen behind a few bushes; which conveniently stood at about my height. Right as he was just about to disappear, he finally got to the point.

"I really wanted to walk with you, side by side...forever..." My heart broke in two.

This is where you guys came in, and I had to backtrack, and... Oh, you get the point. Let's move on.

"Lily, take care of Levy for me..." Gajeel disappeared in a flash of light.

"Gajeel! No!" Levy thrashed in Lily's arms. "Y-you promised!"

"Levy..." Lily didn't know what to say.

"G-Gajeel..." My legs grew weak. I used the little strength I had to run away from my hiding spot in the bushes. When I was a safe distance away, I fell on my knees, barely holding in my tears. Not only was I sad that he was gone, but I was torn that he had basically confessed his feelings to Levy.

Now, don't get me wrong, it's not like I hated Levy. But c'mon, I had feelings for him too y'know. Yes, I finally admit it.

And now his words mocked me; just like he always did. They repeated in my mind and heart like a vicious cycle. My heart felt like it was being squeezed like a stress toy the more I thought about it; and I couldn't stand it. Thinking about Gajeel didn't help either. When I imagined the things I loved about him, it became another thing I would miss now that he's gone...

"I-I can't- I need to-" I tried to empty my mind, but it wasn't working. My heart ached, my head was filled with the realization that Gajeel doesn't return my feelings, and the tears wouldn't let up.

Then a memory had replayed in my mind. It was the day I actually realized that I had any sort of feelings for Gajeel. He had just become apart of the guild, and there was some tension between him and the rest of the guild. Personally, I didn't mind him being there. But Levy? God, she was terrified of him; especially since he abused her. To teach the slayer a lesson, Jet and Droy had attacked him relentlessly. Then Laxus showed up, ranting and raving. He had sent a blast of lightning at Levy, but Gajeel took the attack without fighting back, and went about his business. I was so amazed by his resilience, that I sort of looked up to him. As embarrassing as it is to admit, I ended up crushing on him ever since.

That memory did it for me, I was a sniveling mess. Gajeel said that Levy had changed him...taught him how to love... So what was I? What was that when he kissed me...? Was I just his entertainment for the time being...? When I had finally run out of tears, my heart felt hollow and cold. I felt aware, yet numb, angered, yet saddened; all emotions clouding my brain. I felt...confused and callous; like, a shell had formed around my heart, blocking my ability to feel. Only two emotions were left: heartbreak and anger.