LI. New Master

We all watched him leave without saying another word. Just when I thought he was gone, everyone erupted in a celebration. I was lifted off the ground and onto someone's shoulders while everyone around me patted my back.

"E-Elfman! Put me down!" My voice fell on deaf ears. Everyone was too busy celebrating to pay attention to me.

"Asuna saved us all!" A voice cried.

"I never doubted her for a second!" Max stated. Bewildered and startled, I had no choice but to cling to Elfman. Laxus was the one who came to my rescue, allowing me to stand on my own. My knees were just about ready to give out, but Erza dragged me to the front of the guild.

"Everyone listen up!" Her voice was clear and authoritative. "As you all know, master Makarov has passed."

"Erza, what are you doing?!" I hissed. She shut me up with the wave of her hand.

"He was one of the best masters we have ever known, and we will miss him dearly. But, we are in need of a new master to keep the guild together." There was a slight murmur.

"Asuna should be master." Mira suggested.

"Wait what-?! No!" I shook my head furiously.

"My thoughts exactly. She was the one who led us through the final battle, and she managed to successfully negotiate with the black wizard himself." Erza placed an armoured hand on my shoulder. "She is the perfect fit."

"No, really. I couldn't." My cheeks flushed at the amount of attention I was receiving. "Laxus is older than me, he should be the master."

"No, no. You're a better match than me. I could never pull off what you did." Laxus smiled, like a real, genuine smile.

"I don't think I'll ever live up to grandpa's expectations..."

"You don't have to. You can make your own expectations, Asuna. Set new standards." Lisanna chirpped.

"Makarov would want this." Mavis sat on the table by Erza's feet. My eyes watered, but I quickly blinked the tears away.

"Alright... I'll do it. For grandpa." I smiled softly. Another round of cheers erupted as the scenery around us began to change again.

"We're back in Magnolia!" Sherria points to the window. Without hesitation, everyone runs outside and takes in the streets of our small town.

"It feels great to be back..." I stared up at the stars and the full moon.