LIV. A Little Romance

The ambiance was delightful and the food was delicious, so the picnic was a success. To my surprise, Gajeel was the one who had prepared the food. I mean, who knew he was such a great cook? We put everything back in the basket and sat closer together, our fingers intertwined. It isn't often that I get to stare at the stars, but tonight, they look extraordinary.

"Hey Gajeel?"

"Hmm?" His thumb traced circles over the back of my hand.

"Thank you, for tonight. I really needed the distraction." I flashed him a grateful smile. He sat there, his face confused, then snickered. It was subtle at first, but it became something more blatant. "W-what?! Why are you laughing?! D-did I say something wrong?"

"N-no, no!" He wiped a tear from his eye. "Ya seriously think this is just a distraction?"

"I-I'm confused..." I shifted to face him and my face burned. Cupping my face with his free hand, he kissed me tenderly.

"Ya still think I'm tryin' to distract ya?" I shook my head furiously. He chuckled as I rested my head on his shoulder. In the back of my mind, a million red flags were going up, telling me to establish some boundaries before things get too serious.

"Gajeel...? I know I'm asking a lot of-" I didn't even finish my sentence when a sudden rush of wind took my breath away. Goosebumps littered my arms and legs, whilst I clung to Gajeel. After a short while, the wind had subsided but there was still a slight draft and I was a shivering mess.

"Are ya cold...? Here-" Gajeel took off his jacket; a three quarter coat with studs lining the outer trim and down the length of the sleeves; and draped it over my shoulders. "That should keep ya warm."

"Oh... uh-"

"I'm trustin' ya with my favourite jacket." Gajeel beamed proudly.

"If this is your favourite jacket, I shouldn't be wearing it..." I blushed.

"Don't worry 'bout it. It looks good on ya." He stood up before helping me up.

"That's not the issue." I watched him pack up everything. "Aren't you worried-"

"I know yer gonna take care of my jacket, so I ain't worried."

"You're unbelievable." A smile permanently plastered itself on my lips. Together we walked back to my house, chatting the whole way about anything and everything.