XXXIII. Head Turner

Just as I made my way to the banquet, I caught Natsu wandering up the grand staircase. Being nosy, I followed at a safe distance, but I was stopped by a guard right as I got to what I assumed to be the royal quarters.

"Miss, you need to go back to the party." He stepped in my path.

"I'm sorry, I kind of got lost. Please excuse me." I curtsied and went back the way I came. My heels clicked against the marble floors, making more noise than I expected. I held onto the railing and carefully made my way to the ballroom floor. Everyone began to whisper, and the music quieted down as I kept my focus trained on my feet.

"P-please, don't stop enjoying yourselves because of me." I blushed when I finally noticed everyone's stares. They slowly resumed their conversations, but I felt a few eyes lingering. I quickly ducked toward a table, and found Lily sitting there stuffing his little face.

"Lily, this is so unlike you." I barely held back my smile.

"I can't stop myself... This food is delicious..." He popped an hors d'oeuvre in his mouth.

"You silly-" I felt a gloved hand tap my shoulder. 

"Excuse me, but I think yer blocking the food." Gajeel grunted. I turned around and raised an eyebrow.

"What, no 'dollface' tonight?" I smirked. His face flushed, now realizing who I was.

"I-I didn't know it was you..." He stammered. "Y-you look...erm...nice, dollface."

"Why, thank you." I bowed my head. "You don't look bad yourself. I like the ponytail." Gajeel opened his mouth to say something, but Sting waltzed over, demanding to have a drink with Natsu. My nose wrinkled and I turned my back to my ex-boyfriend.

"Asuna, you look stunning." Rogue stated. I flashed him a polite smile and plucked an hors d'oeurves from Lily. Gajeel and Rogue get to talking, with Sting hanging around, much to my dismay. Lily places a comforting paw on my hand, which was gripping the tablecloth like it owed me money.

"If I can't have a drink with Natsu, I guess I'll settle for Gajeel!" Sting sounded cheerful.

"I really wanted to punch yer smiling face..." Gajeel growled. I snickered, nearly choking on the drink a waiter had offered me. Rogue ushered me away, using this time as an excuse to get me away from Sting. We didn't wander too far from the table though, since we left Frosch behind.

"So Asuna, is he your boyfriend now?" Rogue stared at the iron dragon slayer.

"Gajeel? No... He's just a friend of sorts." Thankfully he didn't see my blush. If he did, I would never hear the end of it.

For the rest of the night, I danced and chat with just about everyone. Well, everyone I was close to except Sting, Gray and Gajeel. Speaking of which, I haven't seen him since he had a drink with my ex... When no one was looking, I snuck out the banquet hall and into the castle halls. After a bit of wandering, I found him, but he was dancing with Levy. I felt my heart tug at how close they looked. Without making a sound, I rushed back to the ballroom. I couldn't stand to watch them... I found Melody and rushed back to the hotel. Levy is my best friend, I love her, and I know she likes Gajeel and all...but I don't like the way they looked together... So close and they kinda looked like they were in love...

"Oh god... When did I become so jealous...?" I covered my face.