Capable Hands

+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~

Mel

The bubbles foamed around my body, covering every inch of my skin as I let myself fall deep under while keeping my neck above the water. I looked over at Dean who sat across from me in the bathtub and he had his eyes shut as he hung his head back. We both took advantage of the silence and took comfort in each other's company.

I reached out of the tub to pick up my beer and sipped from it as I noticed the way Dean looked so relaxed and I couldn't remember the last time he seemed so calm and content.

He lifted his head and caught me watching him but I didn't look away. "What?" he smirked.

"When was the last time..." I wracked my brain, trying to remember our lives before shit hit the fan.

"The last time we took a bath together? Well I could tell you last time we did a lot less washing and a lot more..." he gave me a suggestive look and I just rolled my eyes as I flicked some bubbles at him.

"The last time we just spent time together" I sighed, feeling more relaxed than I've felt in years, as if all of my built up tension was just slipping away.

He stared at me for a long moment and even though now we were both thinking of the last time we were in a tub together, I saw in his eyes that he didn't even care that we weren't reenacting what happened the last time. He was just happy being in this moment with me.

Then, he reached forward to take my hand and he pulled me over to him. I spun so that my back was to his front and I floated in between his legs as I leaned my head back and rested it in the crook of his neck.

"Too long" he murmured in my ear, which sent shivers down my spine.

"So how are you feeling?" I decided to ask because I didn't want to ruin the moment.

"Well I don't feel like a puppet to the darkness anymore, so that's something"

"Yeah, that's good...but I meant how are you feeling about your mom being back. We haven't really gotten the chance to talk about it"

"Well I could be asking you the same thing"

"It's not the same though. I didn't lose my dad until I was 23. You only knew your mom for four years of your life before she left. You and Sam, obviously you're not what she remembers, but neither is the world that she's been thrusted into...you guys should talk to her instead of stepping on eggshells around her"

"What do we even talk about?" he asked as he leaned forward to put his chin on my shoulder

"Anything. Everything. Help her understand who you are as grown adults but fill her in on everything else in between. She'll be sad that she missed out on a lot but she'll also be happy just to listen to the stories that you have to tell. Share your experiences with her. Help her adjust and make her feel like she belongs..."

"You've thought a lot about this" he acknowledged gently.

"Well...it's what I would want...if we ever..." I couldn't even bring myself to finish my sentence, but he knew what I was talking about. "But then again, I wasn't suddenly thrown 33 years into the future so she may have different feelings on the issue" I quickly added with a laugh as I turned my head to look at him.

He lifted his head and just stared into my eyes for a long moment before he leaned in to kiss me.

"Am I interrupting?" a third voice echoed against the tiles.

Dean and I both jumped as we turned to see Cas standing there.

"Damn it, Cas" I gasped, trying to slow down my heart as I pulled the bubbles closer to my body to be sure that everything was covered.