Chapter Twenty

Twenty Weeks

~

Elizabeth sighed as she sat in Ciel's chair, he was away on business and Bard was waiting on her hand and foot in his absence. It had been nearly two months since Ciel had ran off and with his mad dash of retaliation and they hadn't heard anything about or from the vampire since, well Elizabeth hadn't heard anything. The further she plunged into her pregnancy, the more quiet the manor had been. No one uttered a word of discontent in her earshot, probably fearing the wrath of Sebastian or Ciel, who ever it was that instructed them to keep quiet. Her last few appointments had revealed she was under some sort of stress which sent Ciel into overdrive. 

She sorted through the papers in her folder, which contained all of her mothers medical records, observations, and prescriptions. She was also waiting by the phone for a call from the doctor that evening. Elizabeth hoped to be packed up and out of Ciel's office before he made it back, and she was going to be cutting it close. 

Bard was downstairs making her some warm tea to soothe her headache. He urged her to take a short break and put her feet up but Elizabeth just wouldn't have it. There was too much work to be done concerning her mother. 

She calloused her hands by filling out paper after paper and signing off on multiple forms, an hour had easily passed by. Bard had already brought her tea and she had allowed it to get cold. The doctor should have called her already, he must have gotten caught up in something. That's what she told herself anyway, the truth was she would freak out every time the doctor was late on something. Things were just worse now that she was pregnant. 

At 6:25 p.m. the bulky telephone rang and she jumped. She had been so deeply immersed in her paperwork, it was no wonder Ciel had never left this room...

"Hello?"  Her lovely voice picked up. Bard entered the room with his hand up in the air, motioning toward the back of the manor. He was about to ask her if he could step out for a minute to smoke, but he stopped short seeing as though she was on the phone. 

"Yes, this is she. To whom am I speaking?" Bard arched a brow and crossed his arms over his chest. Usually Lady Elizabeth didn't have to ask. He stepped into the room and stood by the large desk. 

"Recorded? Why, certainly, I don't mind. What's the trouble? Is everything alright?" Bard turned his head toward the door when he heard footsteps. Sebastian came through the door carrying bags and boxes, with Ciel in tow. Ciel motioned toward the phone and mouthed the word "Doctor?"

Bard only shrugged and the Earl's brows knitted together in confusion. Everyone remained quiet as Elizabeth stood and began to pace as far as the phone cord would allow her. "What?" She stopped pacing and covered her mouth with a small hand in an attempt to muffle a gasp. "Attacked? Attacked by what? What kind of attack?! Is she alright?!" Bard jumped at the shriek in her voice, as well as everyone else.

"I don't understand what you're telling me." Ciel removed his long black coat and stepped in front of the desk. "No I don't know anyone that would.. where is my mother?!- No I will not calm down, you will tell me what happened-!" To say she was growing irate was an understatement. Sebastian's brows were lifted in slight surprise as he watched her expressions intently. Her face fell from anger and her shoulders, once tense, visibly relaxed. "I see, thank you for calling me. Send me the papers and I will take it from here." She gently hung the phone up, yet she refused to look up from the glossy top of the desk. The room was silent for a long time, as no one dared to ask.