three

"Stay the night, please." Troye was practically begging now, watching Jacob grab his coat and smile sadly, wearing the coat.

"You know I have a project due tomorrow, right?"

"Yeah," Troye said, pressing his knees together to his chest, hugging them close together.

"I am anyways just a call away," Jacob said, sitting next to the fragile boy who was looking at him with soft, beautiful eyes and an innocent face.

"But I am scared."

"Why love?" Jacob asked, tucking a stand of hair behind his ear, tracing his finger on his cheek and jaw.

"Nightmares, in my head," Troye whispered softly, looking down.

Jacob's smile faltered, his hands immediately going around the shorter boy's thin waist and his neck rested against his shoulder as he rubbed soothing patterns on the boy's back.

"Oh love," Jacob sighed, breaking the hug and continuing, "The nightmares, they are just in your head, they are not going to hurt you baby," Jacob said, knocking Troye's forehead softly as Troye just nodded, chewing on his lip.

"They don't hurt me physically, Jay, they hurt me emotionally and it feels so real and empty and I don't know, they never happen when I am with you."

Jacob was silent.

And so was Troye.

Neither of them knew what to say.

And leaving Troye alone in the cold, dark night, Jacob left, a heavy ache in his heart as well as Troye's.