Fathingo

He was like turquoise seaweed drifting in the ocean, with hints of blue and wavy tides if you looked closely.

She felt as if she could dive into the deep, deep jade green of his scales, swimming in the pool of emerald and splashing in the tide of myrtle, sunlight streaming in thin strands of golden and blue and small bits of orange.

She could remember that they would swim in between autumn-coloured plants, coral-pink lillies and crimson reefs. She remembered they would dart around the water, flashing aquatic at each other whenever they learned a new trick.

They would have swimming races, Fathom flowing gracefully in the ponds that gushed into the Island Palace, mist and fog spiraling up and down the stretching building.

The Island Palace was beautiful. It contained one of the best memories in her dragonethood life and one of the worst massacres in Pyrrhia history.

This was the place where they had been, walking through the sands and finding new marine creatures hiding in the shores.

Digging up seashells. Discovering hermit crabs together.

Watching the sunset touch the sky for one last time, splashing different colours all at once into the clouds, spraying violet and blue and the flaring vibrant red of fire that streaked into the patch of darkening grey.

Her ancient claws brushed against the soft sand, the sound of waves crashing against the bay rolling through her ears.

Again, the palm and coconut trees swayed side by side, the wind gushing through them, flitting across leaves and tree bark.

"Remember when we used to record all the different fish we found and tried to give them names?" Indigo laughed, her scales feeling like crinkling paper.

"When we used to carry Blob around and he'd do stupid stuff like squirt ink in your face?"

"Or that time when you ate the very last salmon? You were so smug about it. I still remember when you teased me." Indigo dug her claws into the sand. "You totally deserved to be dumped in the koi pond."

"We'd make a list of what we'd do when we grew up," Indigo breathed. The sun was almost gone, the peak glittering in yellow sparks against the sea. "You wanted to make lots of stuff that were useful to the SeaWings and the queen. You wanted another palace, the Indigo Palace, named after me."

"It was going to be pretty with twisting columns and pillars overlooking half of the sea. The other half was above water, transparent so we could see everything in every direction." Indigo said, digging out a seashell gently from the sand. "You still haven't built it."

"Come on, Fathom. Wake up."

"Didn't you say you were going to build the Indigo Palace?"

She turned around, smiling, but she saw nothing. Just a large expanse of sand, and the huge empty Island Palace that used to be so full of life.

Wake up.

Please.

Why did he have to go before me?