Chapter One

The rain was pounding harder and harder as each minute passed. The sun long gone and the overhead school light being the only thing that set the water before his eyes aglow, Christopher Peachie had one goal in mind; To keep pushing.

He wasn't sure how many laps he'd swam already, but he knew one thing for sure...with each new stroke of his arms, his muscles burned, starting a fire that couldn't be extinguished. He felt the heat in his shoulders and legs, hoping that with each kick that pain could replace the ache in his chest; in his heart. He could feel the rain pounding his back, but this was good. It was what he needed.

Today was the last day of high school. The last day he'd ever walk through the halls laughing with his friends. The last day he'd ever cheer on the sports teams with pride at pep rallies. The last day he'd step foot into his sanctuary, his safe haven for the last four years of his life. The last day of his life being solidly planned out before him. He came out tonight to soak in every last bit of it that he could. Tonight seemed to be fitting. Everything shouted at him that he was a man now. He felt furthest from that, though. Every time these thoughts began he pushed harder in the water until he had to come up for air. Seven maybe eight laps? He knew he could do better. After all, he'd broken all of the high school records. Blew them out of the water in fact. Swimming ran in his veins, it was a part of him. It was his dream. Of course he could do better.

Christopher stood at the edge of the pool to catch his breath when he saw someone walking towards the pool with a towel. It was Taylor:

"What are you doing out here?" She had to shout over the rain.

"Needed some space!"

"Well, now you need to dry off!" The towel in her hands was soaked. She never was the brightest crayon in the box.

"No, I'm good!" He was about to dive back in when Taylor pleaded with him to get out of the water. Rolling his eyes, he jumped out and stood in front of her. She was a short figure compared to his 6'2" stature, so they weren't eye level, but they were close enough that they didn't have to shout anymore.

"You're going to get sick, are you crazy?" Taylor shielded her eyes from the downpour of rain

"You didn't seem to care about me when I was trying to get your attention all day. Why do you care now?" She was speechless for a minute before she stumbled over her words:

"I was...you know I was busy today. You know how it gets when you're trying to say goodbye to everyone on the last day of school."

"Too busy to say hi or even look at me when you passed me in the hall? Because heaven forbid I get to walk you to your classes."

"I was-"

"Save it Taylor! I don't want to hear it. I've given you nothing but my heart for the last three years and in return, I get small moments of affection or intimacy...or even signs that you care. We've supposedly been in a relationship, but have we?"

"Where is this coming from?"

"Don't act so surprised."

"Is that...is that why you're out here right now?" She began to chuckle, "Chris, that's absurd."

"See, that's what I'm talking about. You never take me seriously."

"I don't have time for this."

"You never have time for me. Well... I don't have time for us anymore." An eerie silence fell between them.

"Wait, what are you saying?" For the first time in a long time, there was hurt playing in her eyes.

"I'm saying we're done! I'm done!" There was no need to shout, but he wanted to make sure she heard him.