Chapter Fifteen

Chris and Lacey made their way back to Castle building nearby the house. Gretchen had been in such a good mood, that she let Lacey go out with him tonight. He still didn't know how or when he was gonna tell her, but the castle was one of their favorite spots. This time, he led her to the top of the of the castle. He brought a blanket, just like on their first date. He laid it out and laid on it. She followed him and until they were side by side and looking at the moon and stars. Up here, it didn't feel so cold. Or maybe it was just being next to her.

He began to feel his heart race. They laid there in silence for a while, silence between them had become comfortable. They didn't always have to have something to say to each other.

He looked at her as she looked at the sky, mesmerized by her entirely. He watched her tonight, like he had since the moment their eyes met. Months ago, he never would have thought he'd be here with her now. He had always been strong and even when he wasn't, he had been able to pretend. Around her, though, she made him weak in every way. And he was okay with it.

She looked over at him, but in place of her smile was a desire in her eyes that told him she was feeling the same way he was. He hoped he wasn't wrong. He looked at her eyes before glancing at her lips. The way she bit at them. The way she always lifted them around him, until now. He looked back at her eyes as they leaned in kissed each other. More passionately than before. He needed to be careful, he didn't want this going too far. He wrapped her in his arms as he pulled away.

Their eyes met and everything he was thinking came out in a whisper for only her to hear, "I love you, Lacey."

His words must have taken her breath, when she took in a deep breath lightly, but she made sure he could hear her, "I love you, too." She meant every bit of it and that's what scared her.

She pulled away and say up on the blanket, Chris did too, "What's the matter?"

Lacey stood up and made her way to the edge of the roof and looked out at the river, and then she turned around, "I don't know what's happening here. I...I've never felt this before. All I know is that whatever it is, I love it. I love you, and that's scary."

Chris stood up and could dimly see tears rolling down her face, "You don't have to be. I will never let you fall, Lace. You can trust me." He wrapped her in his arms again and she looked up and kissed him again.

Chris pulled a remote out of his back pocket and hit the button. A radio he had set up a few days ago played a song he dedicated to her.

"What's this?"

"I was driving the other day and this song came on. I thought of you." He held out his hand and she rolled her eyes. He smiled and she half smiled in his direction before taking his hand and they danced to Howie Day's Collide under the moonlight.

He hoped against all odds that she believed him. He knew she had been let down so many times and that's why he would work so hard to show her differently. To show her what real love looked like. They stayed up there for a little while longer and then Lacey needed to head back.

Chris walked into his dorm room to find to Demetrius gaming. He flopped on his bed, and opened his phone to look at the photos of him and Lacey. Things were going great and he never wanted it to end. He was down about the fact that his assignment was almost finished. He had just checked it before meeting up with Lacey downtown and everything was ready to go. Suddenly, he remembered that he'd left his camcorder in Lacey's room. He took it to the house tonight to get the final shot. It would be safe there, he'd just get it in the morning.

Demetrius stopped his game and looked over at Chris. He had a habit of doing this lately, "You did it, didn't you?"

"Did what?"