Chapter Ten

Chris rolled up the sleeves of his white button up. He was hot under the white and grey sweater vest. It was a perfect choice for this weather, but he didn't consider how nervous he would be. He always played it cool, he hoped he would tonight, too. He set the basket of sandwiches, cookies, and hot chocolate on top of the shoreline behind him.

The river was beautiful stretching across the whole cite, but this spot came up to shore with a small amount of sand meeting the grass, where he currently stood. The sun hadn't begun to set yet, but it was turning pink high in the sky, casting a warm feeling onto the water. The tree's surrounding the water were various colors, pink and reds and yellows all blending together. Yes, this was the perfect spot.

He was so taken by the view that he was startled when he felt arms wrap around his waist. He just stood there for a minute letting her warmth become his. He was really falling for this girl and he didn't know whether to be scared or to let his heart soar. He hated being so hesitant, but he wouldn't let it ruin their night.

"This place is beautiful. How did I not know about this?"

He turned around and met her in his arms, "Nothing as beautiful as you, but there's a lot of places I still have to show you. It's beautiful here, after all, Illinois is the best state." Chris smirked

"Hmmm, I don't know about that one."

"Oh yes, Ohioan woman are pretty determined."

"Is that a bad thing?", She smiled and he picked her up and swung her around before setting her on the blanket and sitting next to her, "What was that for?" Her giggle penetrated the air

"Well, I'm full of surprises didn't you know?", He pulled out the basket and she looked genuinely pleased, "What?"

"How are you so charming and handsome all in one? You're...you're too good to be true."

"Hmmm, but you haven't even fully met me yet."

"Okay, then tell me something you think I should know."

He was silent for a moment as they ate, busy thinking. He was serious about her, though, so he was going to lay it all out there for her. If he was going to get hurt again, at least he knew he went down swinging for someone who was worth it, "Last year...my relationship with a girl I was crazily in love with ended after three years...and it broke me.", he didn't look at her, for he was afraid he'd see pity in her eyes and that wasn't the point, "I'm the kind of man that gives my whole heart to someone, even knowing that I could end up getting my heart ripped out because of it. What is life, if you don't have love? People will always fail you, but I'm choosing not to let my heart stop beating because of it." He finally looked up, expecting to see pity, "Oh, don't look at me like-" But, what he saw was a warmth he wasn't expecting, "Oh.", He shook his head, feeling the heat rising in his cheeks, "And now, I feel like an idiot."

"Don't, I think it's wonderful that you can open up your heart that way. I know all too well what it's like to be pitied. Don't feel bad for me because of what I've been through. Just see how strong I am now because of it. I get it."

He looked at her, still serious. There had to be something about her. Something that kept her so guarded, "Do you?" His question wasn't penetrating, just curious

"My sister isn't the only one I really have in my life for no reason.", she could feel herself getting short. Anytime it came to her life, she wanted to avoid the subject. She didn't want to have to explain her life, especially to him. She didn't want to mess things up, "Let's just say I haven't had the prettiest life and many people don't understand that having pity doesn't just fix my problems."