Chapter 15

Kurt tapped his foot and I started playing the opening beat to See You Saturday.  The entire time I was trying not so much to focus on how he was singing or what the audience was thinking, but the drums instead.  I tried not to keep playing smoothly, and before I knew it we were at the end of the song. 

When the audience started clapping and cheering, I breathed a sigh of relief.  A huge smile came to my face and I almost wanted to clap along with them.  Somehow, we got through the entire song with no mistakes.  I thought about Nathan in the audience, speechless.  What could he passively have to pick on? 

“Thank you, thank you!” Kurt said into the microphone.  “Hopefully you’ll like the next one too.” 

I heard him counting off and followed his guitar into the song.  The entire thing just felt like waiting.  All I wanted was that moment to come for my solo, and when Kurt sang the words, “We’re all trapped in a world full of plastic people” I just let go of everything.  After a few hits, the audience was cheering.  The excitement just made me play louder until Kurt came back in with his guitar. 

We hit the last beat and the ten-or-so person audience went wild.  Never in my life did I feel so accomplished, so utterly amazed at how it would feel to perform in front of a real audience.  Kurt ran over and said, “They’re standing!  They really liked us!” 

I raised my arms in the air, crossing my mallets, and shouted, “Thank you Williamsburg!” 

Sarah whistled in the back of the room.  Kurt grabbed my wrist and led me over to the front of the stage.  I waved and bowed a few times as Kurt held my hand.  After a few minutes or so, Kurt’s dad ran back on stage and we walked back down the steps. 

“Come on folks, let’s hear it one more time for Blind and Dangerous!” he said, and the audience erupted in cheers once again. 

Before I had a change to do anything, I was tackled by my mother.  She locked me in her arms, kissing me all over my face as I stood there in front of everyone. 

“Oh, Lia Ling!” she said.  “Look at you, my little rock star!”

“Okay Mom, that’s enough,” I said before squirming away. 

I took Star back, then got a high five form Emmit and a hug from Dad before we made our way to the big table with all of my friends.  They hugged me as the next band started to play on stage.  Right after I sat down, Melissa clonked over in her heels. 

“Lia, fantastic job!” she said.  “Can I get you anything?  It’s on the house.” 

“Oh really?” I said.  “That’s be great.  Do you have hot coco?” 

“We sure do.  Whip or no whip?” 

“Extra whip would be great,” I replied. 

“Sure thing.  I’ll have it right out.” 

She clonked away and I faced the rest of the table, waiting for Nathan’s reaction. There was nothing.   

“You guys were great,” Sarah said. 

“Thanks,” Kurt said.  “We’re really happy that you guys came out to see us tonight.” 

“Oh, it wasn’t a problem,” Maxi said.  

“Yeah, don’t mention it,” Maya said. 

“What did you think Nathan?” I asked him.  “Or do you want me to call you Nay-Nay?”