Day 47: Part Two - Police Station

I watched as the door closed behind me at an agonisingly slow speed, and I couldn't wait to get out the police station. I lent against the tall counter, looking down at my hands which I held close to my chest. Sighing loudly, I glanced up at Fox, who looked more stern than usual as he discussed the forceps with a dark-haired policewoman. She had placed the forceps in a neat, sterile plastic bag, and was telling Fox about the processes that would need to be taken.

Fox glanced over at me and awkwardly winked, and I gave him a small smile. I could think of so many places that I would rather be right now.

"They're gonna have to test what we think is blood and see if they have it on their database," he said, glancing at each of my eyes to see what my reaction is.

I slowly nod, trying to take all the events of today in my stride. I had only just left the hospital on orders to take it easy and Fox was giving me a growing headache in-between my temples. Fox continued to look at each of my eyes in turn, occasionally glanced down at my lips, which became dry under his stare.

The policewoman left the reception area, leaving Fox and I staring at each other as we tried to figure out what the other was thinking.

"How long will it take?" I ask him.

He ran one of his hands through his hair and took a deep breath, allowing it out through his mouth. I could tell that he was trying to calm down after everything he had done today. "I don't know... She said about three days as they think it might be linked to the Jack the Ripper-like crimes last month..." He paused and looked at my blank expression. "You do remember them, don't you?"

I snapped out of my trance as I cleared my throat and gulped. "Yeah, I do." I say softly, thinking back to the news reports.

"Mmm," he grunts, turning back to the counter top, resting his arms on it before leaning forward onto them. I trace his profile with my eyes before I look back down at my hands.

"Nothing is ever simple."

He laughs almost sarcastically. "With you, Ella, it never is."

*****

I walked beside Fox down the long, grey street, staring at the ground while swinging my arms rhythmically and in time with the quick beating of my heart. Anger was boiling up inside of me, and when I did look to the side I quickly took in how Fox had his hands deep inside his pockets, and his eyebrows furrowed as he looked up at different shop windows that caught his attention. I clenched my teeth and cursed him in my mind over and over again as my gaze returned to the ground. Why did he have to do that?

"I'm sorry, Ella, I didn't mean it like that."

I stopped in my tracks and pointed one of my fingers at his face the way a strict teacher would. "Yes. You. Did." I dramatically paused with each word, and I hoped each one came out as aggressively as I wanted them to. I wanted my words to stick in the back of his mind, to let him know that I didn't appreciate the crap he was giving me.

"But- "

"You meant it, Fox, whether you like it or not. You have absolutely no idea, I repeat, no idea, how difficult it is coming to terms with the fact that I have pretty much just come out of a coma, that my brother can't appear to me anymore after he showed me his memories and that I can't remember some things." My chest heaved, and I was shaking from a mixture of exhaustion, temper, and irritance. I stopped talking as I began to choke on my words, and I clenched and unclenched my fists repeatedly.

Fox was wide-eyed. "He showed you his memories?"

"I suppose you want me to elaborate on that." I snapped, crossing my arms in front of me feeling rather child-like.

"Yeah. I do want you to tell me."

"No." I started to turn away and walk back to my house, but I stumbled on my second step. Fox caught my arm and held me up, and I hated feeling so pathetic and helpless. I wasn't his 'damsel in distress', nor was I the delicate little girl that needing caring for all the time.

"Ella."

"Damn you, Fox."

The corners of his mouth turned up slightly and he closed his eyes momentarily. "You can curse me all you like, Ella, but I'm not going anywhere anytime soon."

I only stared at him, hoping that I looked menacing to him.

"Please don't look at me like that..."

"Why should I?" I realised that my arm was still in his grasp, so I yanked it out and crossed my arms tightly around my chest.

"Because you gave me that look the day James knocked you out."

There was some familiarity at the event, and it was as though a tiny little ball of energy at the back of my head was getting brighter, tying itself in knots as it tried to unravel. The ball only became bigger, before exploding inside my head, making my whole body shudder. I could remember everything. How I had punched him and he retaliated, how before that I had seen all of the messages aimed at me in the toilets, how I had been given my first curry...

How Fox had been the one that caused everyone to turn against me.

------------------------

This chapter is a bit shorter than I had hoped, but it's better than nothing for the week :/ I can't upload as much because my schoolwork keeps me busy and when I'm not doing it I just want to sleep x)