Chapter 2

Name?:
Scarlet
Age?:
17
Location?:
The guard station for the 15th time it seems

I could see his outline through the bars of the cell i was in, even if he didn't approach. He didn't speak for a while, just stood there. I finally looked up and gave a tired smile in his direction.
"Father has banishes you… he says you've done this too many times. Andrew refused to let you go alone so he'll leave with you. Hes packing your bags right now." I could sense the sadness in his tone, even from my position farther away from him.
"Im sorry-"
"Dont be. He deserved it but… im actually kinda glad. You wont have to be around my stinky old dad and-" he turned as a girl about a year younger then us appeared behind him carrying a torch. She had black hair and blue eyes. I instantly recognized her as the sheltered and quiet Grace who was a cousin or something that they adopted.
"What are you doing here." Zanes tone lost part of its compassion.
"Im bringing her amulet to her. The guards took it but the amulet wanted to be back with her." Grace said quietly and my eyes quickly focused on the small item she carried. My heart lept and I stood. She had my amulet! Upon closer inspection she actually also had an amulet of her own and i smiled.
"You have one too?" My voice was quiet and her shy nod was answer enough. I had been inside this cell more times than I could quickly recall since garroth left. To say i had temper issues is a bit of an understatement.
"I'm gonna miss you. I never actually talked to you but i talked to your amulet when it would call out." Grace was quiet and soon had actually disappeared. I gave a quiet sigh and stood as zane unlocked my cell and lead me to the gates. I hung my head as we left but zane quickly pulled us to the side and lifted my chin.
"Dont hang your head. You are not shameful but think of this as a prideful moment." Zane gave a smile, or at least the way his eye crinkles showed that, before leading me back to the gates.
"Scarlet!" I stopped quickly as three younger girls ran over. They began to tear up and aoon i was on my knees, hugging the girls tightly.
"Be good okay? Drew will visit and we'll write ma often." I whispered to the three i called my sisters. They nodded softly as the smallest, Kelly, wiped viciously at her tears. I kissed her head and sent them back towards their, no our mom. I sighed and stood with the help of zane before we continued our walk.
We had no guards along for the walk as I was not truly a threat. As soon as we reached the gates i remembered that first day over 3 years ago when garroth found me and I teared up. I took a step back.
"I don't wanna go…." I whimpered and began to cry. Zane frowned but I knew he couldn't comfort me. He had already tried stopping me and standing up for me, i messed it up each time.
"Scarlet… You can't stay and you know that. Father isnt afraid to give a death penalty and we both know if this continued he wouldn't have banished you but… youd still be gone. You'll be safe out there… I'll visit one day." Zane spoke quietly but he sounded deadly serious.
"I'm gonna miss you most… I'm sorry I messed it all up." I whispered and soon i was standing next to my adoptive brother. Drew held my shoulder and we faced Zane, and now his father.
"Do not return for ten years unless a guard comes to get you." The lord spoke in a deadly serious voice and i flinched. I looked up and met zanes eye. He had turned back into the mean kid i first met although it was mostly just a shield. His eyes held a different emotion then what his attitude portrayed and i nearly began sobbing again.
"Yes sir." Andrew nodded and he grabbed my hand pulling me out of the villiage and the only home i could remember.